Vilhelm Korpela

Vilhelm Korpela

Hello Aviation Enthusiasts! 

I think this is going to be my first post in this forum! :D

I was looking at some old photos from my 2017 work experience programme/PRAO/TET at Braathens Regional which I thought would be really interesting for some people to hear about. So I decided to tell you members of VATSIM Scandinavia about it!
Down here you will see pictures of the Avro Rj100 and a few pictures of the Saab 2000 cockpit with descriptions to each photo. 

The Routes during my 2017 TET were: 

ESSB-ESGG (Dead Head) (RJ1H)

ESGG-ESSB (RJ1H)

ESSB-ESMS-ESSB (RJ1H)

ESSB-ESGG-ESSB (RJ1H)

ESSB-ESNN (SB20)

During this week I was based at Stockholm Bromma Airport and flew 2-3 legs a day. 

IMG_5118.thumb.JPG.65f15469fb4df8b714c45626225da39a.JPG

This was on my first day when I arrived at Bromma. They gave me a west so I could walk around the Ground Handling area.
In this picture I was going to take my first flight down to Landvetter, Gothenburg! The Pilot who helped me with the TET 
was so kind that he gave me his jumpseat bording card (I was intended to sit in the back of the plane at first)
and bought a normal ticket for himself instead!

IMG_5120.thumb.JPG.557e2417c929ed00d8c246ca2702de60.JPG

These are known as the quiet LF-507 turbofan engines that sits on the Avro RJ.
The Avro has surprisingly 4 engines that each produce 7000 pounds of thurst at it's maximum setting!

IMG_5128.thumb.JPG.b8cbf073723980031181f25634918904.JPG

This is the cockpit of the Avro 100. I agree, it doesn't look modern but it does the job as the captain told me :)
Fun Fact: The pilot told me that the switches on the overhead apparently are called "Dishwasher Switches". 

IMG_5134.thumb.JPG.06618e33255cce4d7d67d19058fa3f2d.JPG

Here we are at Landvetter! The flight took about 45 minutes so it was not that long at all. 
But it was an incredible experience to fly in the cockpit at night! You could see all the cities from above which was really cool!
I actually got to talk to the REAL Swedish Control on 118.4. I was really nervous but I managed to do it pretty well.
I told the pilot about my VATSIM experience and he got really surprised. I almost knew more than him, he said :D 

IMG_5158.thumb.JPG.2803aef9ee62aae9b090147d5da07af6.JPG

A view of the pedestal. I sat in between the pilots and behind the pedestal. 
They dont have an ECAM so the brake temp is shown on the pedestal :) 
The Avro doesn't have any reversers so the brakes get pretty hot after landing.

IMG_5159.thumb.JPG.390e6cd2507fe2b31aba129587345495.JPG

The 4 throttle levers aswell as the Flaps and airbrake.
The airbrake of the Avro is located in the back tail and is deployed about 50ft from the ground when landing.

IMG_5161.thumb.JPG.ea186cb0c3dfe41e69c741bc9c1a3b82.JPG

The pilot side gauges! 

IMG_5178.thumb.JPG.1389bf398f37a330f9bc3166a1c82be5.JPGIMG_5179.thumb.JPG.782813ccb374817e7f3f276b5f61b9c7.JPG

On one of our flights out of Landvetter we actually saw the Antonov 124!
Not the biggest Antonov, but it's big anyways! :D 

IMG_5184.thumb.JPG.840844fe430249fde38aa0794eeb7542.JPG

What an Incredible office view! Cruising at 28,000ft on our way to Bromma! 

IMG_5167.thumb.JPG.dfc1148709e2dc38cb5fdc7f6a9528fd.JPG

This picture sums up my TET with the Avro Rj100! But the trip is not over yet...
The incredibly kind pilot booked a jumpseat ride on the SAAB 2000 back to Sundsvall for me!

IMG_5229.thumb.JPG.9c17b3a602433be303d9c5f5855e5354.JPG

A picture of the little bit more modern cockpit, the Saab 2000 one! The PFD is not actually black of course!
I have better footage of the Saab 2000 cockpit on my computer so it will soon be on my instagram. (@koppeckahdaviation)

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.097ed1bf43f192f79da46c154442930e.JPG

In the Saab 2000 cockpit you can enjoy the views aswsell! But it was very cloudy so you couldn't see a lot.
But for me it did not matter, I love being above the clouds :) 

This sums up my last Work Experience programme. It was such a great experience that I will never forget!
I have loved aviation ever since I was a little kid and this just made me love it even more. The view, the feeling when you power down the runway and lift off the ground and the feeling that makes you feel free from everything! I really want to thank Emanuel (The pilot) that helped me get the jumpseat tickets and gave me all the explanation and cool experiences during this week. I couldn't have done it without him ;) 

I hope you enjoyed this little report about my work experience programme! Sorry if it was a bit long... This was the first part of 2 TET's that I have done. I will probably write another report about my first TET that I ever did which was Airside Operations at Sundsvall-Timrå Airport. In Swedish TET is called PRAO and is used for students to get to experience how it is to work as an adult so you can prepare and get inspiration for the future. I used this opportunity wisely and worked at places that I would like to work for in the future. I don't know if for example Norway or Iceland has this kind of thing at school? I know that Finland and Sweden has it. 

Again, I hoped you enjoyed my little review of my PRAO and I look forward to become a Pilot in the future. VATSIM is a great start for me because you learn stuff so fast! If you compare to 1 year ago I have learnt a bunch of stuff about aviation that I never thought I would have learnt before I go to Flight School. 

Thank you to the people who had the guts to read everything! :D If you have any questions feel free to ask them to me down here... 

Greetings, 

Vilhelm Korpela

Edited by Vilhelm Korpela
  • Like 9

Andy Newman

That looks amazing, especially for work experience! Ours in the UK is normally organised for us, I spent 1 week working in a store and another on an RAF base, hardly exciting!!

I take it you are set on becoming an Airline Pilot now then? :)

• Like 1

Vilhelm Korpela
19 hours ago, Andy Newman said:

That looks amazing, especially for work experience! Ours in the UK is normally organised for us, I spent 1 week working in a store and another on an RAF base, hardly exciting!!

I take it you are set on becoming an Airline Pilot now then? :)

Yes, definitely! It was such an incredible experience to be there. I know a lot of people that have the opportunity to look for a work experience but they end up working at a burger place for example...  In Sweden we are lucky to have this opportunity! The teachers just tells us to look for a place to work at by ourselves and then call them. It's of course a benefit if you know them already! Some people really take the opportunity to go to places they would like to work at in the future. One guy at our school actually flew all the way to USA so he could work for NASA on his work experience xD We also get money from our school so we can buy lunch for example if we work outside our province. I guess Sweden and Finland are really lucky when it comes to work experience :D 

Edited by Vilhelm Korpela