Appointed SIDs and STARs that i can't find.

Jimmy Stigsjoo (1397725)

Jimmy Stigsjoo (1397725)

Hello guys,

I am quite new to VATSIM, and i love every second of it, no idea how i have managed not to find this earlier.

Anyhow, i have encountered a problem that i need help with.

I have been starting to try out new Airports and routes to fly to and from, and suddenly i have ran into problems that i have not encountered during my normal UK<->SWE Flight.

I am being appointed SIDs and STARs that i am unable to find on any charts, in any listings or anything like that.  
I am currently flying the Maddog MD-80, and the built in computer has barely any SIDs and STARs, so i use charts to find the waypoints and just get them into the computer manually, or even fly by hand thru the SID.   This has been absolutely no problem, up until a few Days ago, where i suddenly get SIDs and STARs thru various Airports that i just cant find anywhere.

EXAMPLE:
Yesterday i wanted to try OSLO->Landvetter  ( ENGM - ESGG ) , route planners generate a flightpath -> OKSAT MOGLU ESGG .   ATC Appoint me to a OKSAT1C Departure..   And i cant for the Life of me find any OKSAT1C SID in any of the charts i look up over ENGM. 

Another Example is arriving at ESGG ( Landvetter ) From UK, i sometimes get a STAR  " XXXXX4c " Approach, but i can only find a " XXXXXX2c " in any of the charts.

So, i need your guys help, what am i doing wrong, and how can i fix this? I Must be completely stupid.

Thanks in advance

// Jimmy

Edited by Jimmy Stigsjoo

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Hello Jimmy,

I assume your navdata on your FMC is outdated. Hence you cannot find the procedures in your FMC. VATSIM ATC always tries to use most up to date procedures and assume that pilots also have their equipment and charts updated. This is easiest because most of the pilots fly with most up to date charts and FMC's. ATC are not wizards that can say which pilot has which cycle of navdata. :D

Basics about navdata. navaids and procedures all over the world are being updated constantly. Therefore monthly all the new procedures are updated on a new AIRAC cycle which. Airlines have to update their systems with that new AIRAC cycle to make sure their plane is able to fly the newest procedures assigned by ATC. In real life this is done by the airlines updating the airac on each plane. In simulator world we can do the same with payware software providers such as navigraph for example: https://www.navigraph.com/

On Vatsim no-one can force you to use payware software while you are flying and therefore it's completely optional to update your navdata but it's HIGHLY recommended to ease up the work of ATC. In the end ATC has to know what you are flying to ensure the safe operations. If everyone has the newest navdata and newest procedures, it's easy for ATC to just assign them for the pilot and know that pilot is capable of flying it because he read it back.

For now on you have been flying those procedures by hand and adding the waypoints manually if you haven't had the procedure assigned. I cannot really recommend this because you are more vulnerable for mistakes and most of the SIDs and STARs are not intended to be flown this way. The better way is to simply inform the ATC. "Unable due to navdata, request vectors" and ATC will be happy to issue you vectors instead for your departure or arrival. That way mistakes are eliminated and ATC also knows that you don't have the newest navdata and handles you accordingly.

Then lets talk about charts. It seems to me that you have outdated charts (XXXXX2C is old procedure compared to XXXXX4C - When procedure is updated, usually the last number or letter or both changes to the next one). To find the newest official charts best is to look from AIP of the country you are flying in? For example for Norway, check AIP Norway at: https://ais.avinor.no/no/AIP/View/12/main_en.html or for Sweden check AIP Sweden at: https://aro.lfv.se/Editorial/View/IAIP?folderId=79

There we can find out that Oslo indeed has OKSAT 1C departure: https://ais.avinor.no/no/AIP/View/12/aip/ad/engm/EN_AD_2_ENGM_4-11_en.pdf

You can also use payware charts again provided by navigraph instead of AIP charts but in the end all you get is maybe a bit easier user interface with all the charts in same place and in same format. But other than that all those charts uses the official AIP charts as their refrence with the critical information.

Hopefully this helps you a bit. Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards,
Jouka Ahponen

• Like 2

Jimmy Stigsjoo (1397725)

Jouka, Thank you SO Much. I knew that asking here was the right thing to do and saved me alot of headache.

I checked out Navigraph, and will without doubt buy a subscription there as soon as i get home, seems to be worth every single penny!

Thank you !

// Jimmy

• Like 1