NAX or IBK ?

Christian Martensen

Christian Martensen

Hello dear friends

When flying Norwegian, should I use NAX (norshuttle) or IBK (nortrans) - and when to choose what? :)

All input most welcome - thanks in advance - mange tak!

Mvh

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

NAX - NORSHUTTLE callsign is used when the flight is operated by Norwegian Air Norway. That is when the flight is based in Norway, Sweden or Denmark

IBK - NORTRANS callsign is used when the flight is operated by Norwegian Air International. That is when the flight is based anywhere else than Norway, Sweden or Denmark

By based I mean where the rotation starts and crew is based. For example NAX1302 and NAX1303 is a rotation from ENGM to EGKK and back to ENGM While IBK2801 is rotation from EGKK to ENGM and back to EGKK. Notice the difference that NAX flight starts from ENGM and IBK flight starts from EGKK.

/ Jouka

• Like 6

Hampus Norrby (1329366)

Another clue is that IBK flights are generally operated with aircraft based on Ireland (aka the aircraft's registration starts with EI-) while NAX flights are operated with aircraft registered in Norway (starts with LN-).

Christian Martensen

Jouka, thanks alot for clearifying - and Hampus, nice clue :). Håvard, I will look in to the VA :)

Thank you all for replies, very kind.. now I know! :)

• Like 1

Anders Moen (1066135)
On 29/08/2017 at 1:02 PM, Andreas Ineman said:

Norwegians Copenhagen-Stockholm service use IBK. IBK3902-3903 for example. Just FYI 

Actually, both NAX and IBK are used on CPH-ARN ;)

EKCH-ESSA.png.53e1f39f9a4947f751cec5f01607eb99.png

• Like 1

Mikkel Lindgren (1003540)

I disagree with the fact that IBK-callsigns are used only for aircrafts based outside Scandinavia. This only depends on the registration of the aircraft as mentioned earlier in this thread

I flew as a passenger on IBK7CB (D83607) from DUB to CPH earlier today. Both pilots were danish, and the cabin crew were danish and swedish. IBK-callsigns are also often used on danish domestic CPH-AAL flights. I haven't seen IBK on norwegian domestic flights, so maybe you can still be sure that planes based in Norway will be flying under NAX-callsign - Maybe someone can enlighten this case.

If you are looking to fly a specific flight, check the departure and arrivals boards for either the origin or destination via www.flightradar24.com - It will tell whether NAX- or IBK-callsigns are used.

Edited by Mikkel Lindgren

Best regards

Mikkel Lindgren

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Well, in the end it really comes into which operator operates the flight, Norwegian Air Norway or Nirwegian Air International. Could be that Denmark has a bit of cross operation with some routes flown by Norwegian Air International and some by Norwegian Air Norway. I just made a quick overly simple differnece between both and most likely in reality the relationship between companies are much more complex under the parent company.

• Like 1

Axel Westermark (937254)

Hello Everyone, 

IBK or NAX is dependent as people already said on the AOC that we operate on. 
All bases outside Scandinvaia except CPH is NAI and so on has IBK = Nordtrans as callsign. Operated by Norwegian Air International.

ARN is on it way to be a NAI base but as the situation is now all Norway and Sweden bases are NAX = Norshuttle. 

Example if it's ARN crew flying to CPH it's Norshuttle as callsign! They are also LN Registration

If it's CPH crew flying in to ARN it's Nordtrans as callsign! They are also EI Registration.
Hope this help to clear things out

Have a great week.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Axel. I did some googling and I think it's something to do with European Union (EU) rules that if you are an EU airline you can fly from any point in the EU to any other point without registering an airline in every EU country. As Norway is not part of the EU, Norwegian had to pick an EU country to base its 'EU airline'; they picked Ireland (taxes probably :P ). This airline is IBK = 'Nordtrans'. They can then use IBK to fly point-to-point from anywhere in the EU without having to register additional bases; whereas if they used NAX they would have to get the aircraft to return to a Nordic base at the end of the day (Nordic Council). Just the lawyer in me trying to get the details right :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Christian Martensen

Interesting points and good read to a more complicated matter than meets the eye :P

Because of this I have joined virtualnorwegian haha.. not a bad outcome, I must admit :D

See you in the skies! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1