VATEUD web services temporarily unavailable

Mikkel Lindgren (1003540)

Mikkel Lindgren (1003540)

Some of you might have noticed that VATEUD's web services (including everything on vateud.net) is currently unavailable.

VATEUD is doing all they can at the moment to get things up and running again as fast as possible, and they are of course aware of the situation and for the problems it is causing with access to API, training materiel etc. etc.

Please don't bother VATEUD staff members with this issue for the time being, they already have their hands full recovering as many web services as possible.

It remains unknown what have caused these problems.

Best regards

Mikkel Lindgren

• 2 months later...
Julius Mannermaa (1325300)

Unfortunentaly haven't received any other information than that from November that the site is down. API is working and they have reported that they are trying solve the problem. But as mentioned, no new updates from them.

That's all what I can tell.

Would for example @Morten Jelle have some news about this issue (I know that you're maybe the right person to ask, but if you got any news about the web issue it would be great).

One thing what I have found useful is the Webarchive-website whereby you can open a snapshot of the ATC training pages of VATEUD.

-Julius

Morten Jelle (1012739)

I have not received any further information. I will talk to Florian, and get back to you.

I know that people needs information - but also respect that, this is being done in our spare time.. It seems that people require more and more, and that will definately not help on the situation. 

I'll get back when I have some news..

Morten Jelle
VATSIM Network Supervisor - Team Lead

Magnus Gustafsson (880543)
10 hours ago, Morten Jelle said:

I have not received any further information.

But someone certainly knows why the www.vateud.net is down. Was it server that crashed, something that was not paid to contractor or what?

I do know form my time as Director that Florian showed me "core structure" of the new web services at that time, so thought of evolution of VATEUD services has been there for long time!

Magnus

Morten Jelle (1012739)

The services are running - just not the website. The project was started - yes, but on a slow basis.

It was not any server crash, or non-paid contracter. The following e-mail was send out to the staff of the vACCs inside the EUD division:

Dear directors and training directors in VATEUD.

I would like to give you a couple of information to the current problems facing VATEUD.

Currently, the API is not working. The problem seem to be a bigger one and I can’t predict a time when the setup is working again. Honestly I don’t have a clue whats going wrong in that system but i haven’t lost hope knowing that we have got that system alive again before.

With API, also vateud.net is down. And this is not bad since we have to rework the site heavily. You might remember that parts were not changeable by us. We always had to ask for help from the former admin. This will be history shortly.

One topic to spread in your VACC's

Friends, another topic was coming up: on our VATEUD website, the former designers have used some photos but probably didn’t ask for permission to use it. And so I’ve got a bill of nearly 900 EUR for the usage of unlicensed pictures. I am not able to pay that bill (the license breach was proven right). As holder of the domain i am responsible for its content if there is nobody else to blame. Just to round this up: current services are paid by me privately, with a bit more than 1400 EUR/anno. Some of your organisations had the chance to set different courses with donations for website etc., but VATEUD currently isn’t able to do that. The reasons are multiple and not easy to fight.

We have found an interim solution. For the requested money we have found a solution that should bring us in the position to continue and keeping me from blasting my personal bank account: A friend and VATSIM member pre-financed the sum. Now we are looking for donations to relieve him from that bill. If you are able to join in and donate a bit to the requested sum, i would be extremely happy. 

As I said above this quote, the services (API) is running - only the website is missing and it is being worked on. The bill has been paid, by various donators, so all that is fine now.

If I look at the backend system right now, the content is almost there - so we are not far away. Florian is coordinating everything, so I can't give any estimates on, when the website will be back up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morten Jelle

Magnus Gustafsson (880543)

Perfekt Morten! That was the information that I was looking for!

How are we able as humble members of VATSIM/VATEUD to help out in the financial part of this history?

Magnus

• Like 1

Morten Jelle (1012739)

Currently there is no setup for this - and the bills have been paid, shortly after this e-mail was send out. There were details in this e-mail, if people wanted to donate helping paying the bill, and a lot of people did that. So for now, we are good - but we will setup a donation system, like we have here in Scandinavia, so we can get the expenses covered.

• Like 2

Morten Jelle

Jon Roensholt (1380602)

Aa fairly new active member but an old time-user, I think, and this is my opinion, That Vatsim ought to set op, if its not there already, a PR group, to look for sponsorships.
I am also fan of the donation Idea, as this can keep ads out of the websites since sponsorships need something in return. But with the donation setup, it will then be the few, paying for everybody and that isn't fair.
 know it is a fine balance all in all, and i would love to hear comments from some of you, who have been into this many years and kind of knowing the Vatsim "rumble" and the organisation's opinion about the big question about financing it all.

- Jon

Morten Jelle (1012739)

Sponsorships means advertising - VATSIM has been without such things for a very long time (at least the 10 years I have been a member here), and I believe it shall continue that way. We are lucky enough, to have a good amount of people who donates, if they want to. You are not required to donate, and if you want you can do it - if you don't that is fine as well. 

I don't think it is the time now, to do a change to that setup.

Morten Jelle

Jimmy Stigsjoo (1397725)

Haha, Sorry but i could just imagine Controllers be like "   SAS788 You are cleared to...   But first, have you heard about this new Soup from Soups Inc. ?   Its Fantastic! ...  Stockholm Arlanda!

In all seriousness thought, i think that the ability to donate should be highlighted. IM no stranger to donating to things i dont pay for but enjoy, but i was not aware of the need or possibility.

• Haha 1

Helge Hüttenrauch (898371)

While you discuss the above, could anyone with insights look at this:

and let me/us know about the current status on costs to be covered in 2018?

Sorry for kidnapping the tread.

KR, Helge

• Like 1

Jon Roensholt (1380602)

I agree with Helge, The total cost of running Vatsim, should be visible to everyone, since it isn't receiving sponsorships.

And let me just point out, not ALL sponsors need advertising running, just because the give sponsorships.
And if IBM or DELL was in on it, a logo showing "powered by xxx" isn't THAT bad to look at. 
actually i thing it could give the organisation Vatsim, a little extra credibility, when someone like IBM, DELL or may Cisco was in for support
- just saying. :-). 

• Like 1

Morten Jelle (1012739)

I have to admit, I personally disagree with you, in all the points. Also the total costs for running VATSIM is hardly to find, since it is based on free services and a lot of people spending their servers they have already, maybe for other purposes too. It has never been a problem running it like this, so why change it? 

• Like 1

Morten Jelle

Helge Hüttenrauch (898371)
On 1/11/2018 at 2:46 PM, Morten Jelle said:

You need to contact @Julius Mannermaa as he is the director. Magnus is not anymore. So either him or the IT guys, should know the stuff..

Thanks Morten -- I have done as advised! Helge

Jon Roensholt (1380602)
On 12/1/2018 at 12:17 PM, Morten Jelle said:

It has never been a problem running it like this, so why change it? 

Well, if it has never been a problem, then I just misunderstood the whole tread about donations and the need of money to cover the cost. :-) 
Sorry - my bad.

• 1 month later...
Julius Mannermaa (1325300)

Seems like the VATEUD website is once again up and running with a new look! And what comes to the API, it has been working now for couple of months straight already, so it looks like problems have finally come to an end. 

-Julius