Icelandair Cargo

Dace Nicmane

So how does the controller know where to taxi them, if he doesn't see the aircraft (like if there's low visibility or on VATSIM)? Does the pilot just say I'm Cargo?

fi8jV8e.jpg

Pretty much. I think the controller would be aware of the nature of the aircraft from the flight plan/strip because the Tower and ACC share the same electronic system even though they are in different buildings. They may also recognise the 'number' part of the callsign e.g. ICExxxx because there are only a couple of Icelandair Cargo aircraft and I'm pretty sure their callsign numbering is different. 

Bjarki and @Halldor Bui Jonsson would have the proper answer of course. I'm just guessing :P 

Magnus Meese (997444)

ATC doesn't assign gates, they get that information from some other airport office. They don't control where the rampies are going to be, that's not their responsibility.

Johan Grauers (1113891)

We get the information from the airport authority, where I work it comes through electronically. In other parts of the word (US for example) the pilot will be told his gate by company and relay that information to ATC instead. However in Europe in general ATC will be informed of the gate and make sure the aircraft get there. Generally the pilots also know where they're going anyway but it does happen that the gate changes after the pilots talk to their company, in which case they go with what they've been told by ATC. 

Also yes the callsign is the same as is the ICAO designator, this is true for a lot of airlines with both cargo and pax ops (Lufthansa being an exception I can think of). 

Thanks, Johan. :)

On 11/11/2017 at 2:01 AM, Wygene Chong said:

They may also recognise the 'number' part of the callsign

Starting with 7, it seems.

fi8jV8e.jpg