Use of Free Route Airspace

Alasdair Whyborn

Alasdair Whyborn

Hello all,

I came to ask in regards to the implementation of Free Route Airspace (FRA) within the Scandinavian FIRs and the applicability of FRA within VATSIM. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find complete documentation for the use/regulation of FRA within the FAB DK/SE or NEFAB, in particular the route availability documents (RAD).

The only relevant documents I have found are the AIC C 04-17 and the chart ENR 6.2.1, the former referencing the RAD concerning valid DCTs for FRA eligible flights. I found the RADs particularly useful in Eurocontrol airspace as services like vRoute and SimBrief don't usually account for the time validity of some of the DCTs and don't really give an overview of the available routes in order to be able to plan for weather.

I wanted to ask whether anybody here knows if there is or where to find publicly available copies of the current RAD for these regions and to what degree they are implemented within the airspaces. The latter particularly in relation to cross-FIR DCTs which are used significantly in real life due to the different UAC sectorisation.

Cheers,

Alasdair Whyborn

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Hello Alasdair,

Have a look on this thread to find all the necessary documents with routings within NEFRA.

On RAD documents you can see NEFRA as a free route airspace. That means you can take directs within the airspace borders freely. In other words, you can direct from any point to another as long as the durect line between the waypoints stays withing the Free Route Airspace limits, both laterally and vertically. So, only necessary routings are really when you are entering the Free Route Airspace from an airport inside the Free Route Airspace which is not part of the airspace. For those routings you can find necessary information from the documents on the link given earlier.

/ Jouka