External USB sound card

Andreas Ineman (1184133)

Andreas Ineman (1184133)

Hi!

Since I just moved for real pilot studies, I didn't have the ability to bring my desktop PC. I am still using the same headset in Euroscope via the combo 3,5 mm jack in my laptop. I've had troubles with pilots not hearing me. Listened to my transmissions, heared everything from a clear voice, to a distorted voice and sometimes no existent voice. Do you guys think that an external USB sound card could be of any help? 

Regards

Andreas Ineman

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Yeah that could help if the problem is on your current sound card. If the problem is on the heatset, I am sure that the USB sound card won't help much.

Is there any change for you to test your headset on another computer? If the sound is clear there all the time, then your sound card has a problem and USB sound vard would be a good and cheap alternative. However if the problems continue on the other computer as well then I would head to market to buy a new headset.

Also, just to confirm that every setting is correct and you don't let the computer to change the volume automatically for example. Also proper positioning of the mic is always a key thing especially with cheap headsets but I am sure this is not a problem here, just saying just in case.

Andreas Ineman (1184133)

Forgot to mention that on my desktop it worked perfectly, rarely any complaints. I think that generally onboard sound cards on a laptop are not that high of quality. Together with the old technique used in ES it can have an effect. It's a Razer Blackshark headset, don't know if it goes under the cheap category, bought it for around 150-200$. All settings are correct, however I have a very limited variety of settings to choose from

Martin Loxbo (811805)

My spontaneous reaction is that it's probably not a problem on your side since you say some pilots hear you perfectly. I've noticed more and more voice problems lately and often it can be pinpointed to pilots using vPilot. Although that would only explain the cases where they hear nothing. If they get distorted voice I guess it is indeed a problem on your end.

Andreas Ineman (1184133)

I have listened to myself on the freq sometimes, in certain situations I only heared some kind of noise. Other times it's fine. So is it worth to try an USB soundcard or will I be dissapointed?

Kristian Kling

When it comes to your problem it sounds like a voice server problem och a connection problem. Remember that if you have a bad internet connection, pilots will stop hearing you far earlier than you will stop hearing them.

I have read around a lot about this. My conclusion is to use a USB headset for ES. It has its own sound card which makes it possible to take the ES sound into the headset and for example Teamspeak sound into the external speakers via the internal sound card. If you have your headphones connected directly to your internal sound card, all sounds will go that way. An external sound card might help if you want different programs to use different audio devices. 

Andreas Ineman (1184133)

Have now found out why my mic isn't working. I have a Razer Blackshark headset. It uses a single combo 3,5 mm jack, but has a splitter provided if you have two inputs on your computer. Since my laptop only have one combojack, it can't recognize the mic. 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1001623/ 

Tried to plug in the splitter with only mic in, worked like a charm. Nothing wrong with the headset. So now to the question again. Would an external USB sound card solve this? 

Martin Loxbo (811805)

I've got a similar setup with my laptop having only one combo jack. Tried to find a splitter for it but in the end I decided to get a USB sound card. It works fine!

• Like 1

Andreas Ineman (1184133)

Thanks! Assume I don't need a high end one for ES purposes? see a price range from 5-50$. Thinking of closer to 50 since the cheap ones tend to break according to reviews... 

Martin Loxbo (811805)

That audiocard costs 3 Euro with free shipping from China (dealextreme.com or ebay), you should be ashamed linking a page selling it for 22 Euro...

http://www.dx.com/p/usb-virtual-7-1-channel-external-sound-card-adapter-59077

Anyway, using a modern motherboard withbuild in audio cards is more than good enough since 2007~~ since the audio boards are very well shielded against interference and you should not be able to hear the difference with normal usage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBvvlebSmw

The big issue with communication on vatsim is that they use an incredible outdated and low bitrate codec. What's important is that you buy a dynamic mic with good/overagressive filtering/tuning towards voice. I personally tryed running a proffecional phantom powered condenser mic with mixerboard with build in soundcard and the sound basicly came out unreadable over vatsim. So just buy something cheap or expensive that is build for voice communication. Gaming or skype headsets are ideal.

To my defence I just bought the sound card at a local store here in Barcelona for I think 16 euros (I guess I should be ashamed of that too?), and when Andreas asked the question I googled to see if I could find any information on that same card. If you are going to buy one I will of course not take any responsibility in case I didn't find you the cheapest option. :P

My problem has not been with my computer's sound card. I bought a new laptop and it only had a combo mic/headphone jack. My headset had one connector for each. First I tried to find a splitter that would work but found that the easiest option would be the USB sound card. It does the job while giving an extra audio device which can be useful if you want separate audio in your headset and speakers.