Supersonic Weekend

Martin Tornberg (1069087)

Last weekend I visited Brooklands Museum to fly the Concorde Simulator. Last year when I was supposed to fly it the attitude and the HSI was shorted... So I couldn't fly the simulator last year. Finally one year after I was back at the Brooklands Simulator, I chose to fly the IGS rwy 13 at the old Hong Kong airport Kai-Tak. I ended up overshooting the final a bit and slightly high but it was still great fun! It's a brilliant piece of kit, so if you have some 150 GBP over, make sure to book a flight in the Brooklands Concorde Simulator, which is the very same simulator they used to train British Airways pilots in Filton.

The next day me an James Coombe (friend of mine) joined a group of enthusiasts (mainly former BA Concorde staff) in Brooklands for a Champagne day at G-BBDG at Brooklands. It was a beautiful day of great experience and a lot of stories from former engineers, attendants and pilots of this magnificent aircraft. Later that day we went to a local pub close to Brooklands for a three course dinner which Fred Finn (google him...) kindly organised. 

On Sunday we went westbound for Filton and visited  G-BOAF, the very last Concorde that landed in Filton 26 November 2003. It was brilliant to see a lady called Laurence finally meet Alpha Foxtrot again, she was a BA attendant at Concorde and was together with Les Brodie flying Alpha Foxtrot, the last flying Concorde ever landing in filton. 

Below you can see me attempt an approach into Kai-Tak and some pictures from our tour in Brooklands and Filton. In addition I have added a bonus clip from my approach into Gardermoen on my way to UK. 

I highly recommend visit you Brooklands Museum, it's a beautiful museum with a lot of interesting history. In addition you can book a flight in the Concorde Simulator, please mind that it's normally a 9 months of waiting period to get a flight. So you need to be booking the sim well in advance. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fz2036vi5yejcuu/AADs-I4uX-N8Yxuzz5YdwyDya?dl=0

Edited by Martin Tornberg
  • Like 5

Magnus Meese (997444)

Good stuff, seems like a blast. Was the technical issue sometime in October 2017? I had a gold flight booked at that time which got cancelled (was refunded, still sad to have missed it). I live in the UK now, so I hope to get over there ASAP, just need to wait for the expected pay rise to come along in a few months.

Yes, the technical issue happened at the very same day I was going to fly. There was a new guy running the sim and he didn't wait for the power supplies to stablilize on the correct voltage and frequency. So he very effectively burned the HSI and attitude indicator... So they had to nick the instruments from G-BBDG outside. 

You will love the simulator, it's just great!