ChartFox [A completely free, digital aviation chart application for educational flight simulation]

Magnus Gustafsson (880543)

Daniel Lange (1352906)

I checked it out, I wouldn't say its piracy as it's just collecting links to the different AIPs of the different countries. Such as Norwegian charts are sourced from aip.avinor.no, which is open for everyone. I checked out the source code as well, it's just an iframe (a website inside website) opening the charts from the providers, which is completely legal as long the displayed content is open for everyone and not paid for or similar.

Overall looks cool, I had in mind to make something like that myself but never got around to do it :D It's a very nice free alternative for Navigraph, with the restrictions that comes with it already of course (no FMS data, no consistent layout of the charts etc)

Edited by Daniel Lange

Martin Tornberg (1069087)

Maybe you can see this as basically a internet browser where the user have bookmarks for all the links. I can't see any problem with that, but I'm not a lawyer... 

Mats Edvin Aaro (1227980)
3 hours ago, Daniel Lange said:

I checked it out, I wouldn't say its piracy as it's just collecting links to the different AIPs of the different countries. Such as Norwegian charts are sourced from aip.avinor.no, which is open for everyone. I checked out the source code as well, it's just an iframe (a website inside website) opening the charts from the providers, which is completely legal as long the displayed content is open for everyone and not paid for or similar.

Overall looks cool, I had in mind to make something like that myself but never got around to do it :D It's a very nice free alternative for Navigraph, with the restrictions that comes with it already of course (no FMS data, no consistent layout of the charts etc)

Read the disclaimer ever time you open the AIP though... 

Might not be piracy, but it's in the gray zone.. But other than that I've looked at it, and it looks farily good!

Martin Stockzell (1294494)
11 minutes ago, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

Might not be piracy, but it's in the gray zone.. But other than that I've looked at it, and it looks farily good!

Grey zone indeed. Maybe links to the original, freely available, links to every AIP would have made things "better"
But I like the service, even though I already use the swedish, norwegian, danish and finnish versions already myself (via original links) this makes things a bit easier!

Daniel Lange (1352906)
1 hour ago, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

Heh, I've bookmarked the all way in, haven't seen the disclaimer until I deliberately looked for it now. Based on what it says I'd say it's a grey area, but it's more towards ok than bad in my opinion. Chartfox is like Martin says, basically a bookmark.

If ChartFox would download the AIP files, then re-distribute them it would surely be legally questionable. Or even worse: claim them as their own, but they just link them and also visibly credits the source.