VFR Flight from uncontrolled airport

Peter Westergren

Peter Westergren

Hi!

I just joined VATSIM and am a newbie pilot here. I have some questions regarding Flightplans and ATC in different situations.

1. If i am going to do a VFR flight in southern sweden like from Landskrona via Malmö via Eslöv is that acceptable to file in the
route section of the flightplan when sending the flightplan to VATSIM?

2. If i am doing a VFR flight from an uncontrolled airport and there is an area controller like ESOS_CTR online, should i contact him before startup to
get a clearance?

Thomas Ljung (1253198)

Hi Peter,

1. Yes, you file the route in the route section of the flightplan. But not the departure/arrival airport codes, or exit/entry points of the control zones.
But waypoints, VOR:s/NDB:s or coordinates should be in your route.

2. No, you don't need to do that. But before entering controlled airspace, you must have a clearence from the controller.

If you are unsure, ask the controller. We are there to help!
Happy flying!

Martin Loxbo (811805)

If ESOS_CTR is online, consider every CTR and TMA as controlled airspace, since ESOS will act as all ATS units in Sweden. So if you intend to fly from Landskrona to Eslöv in class G airspace only, you don't have to talk to anyone. But if you want to make a touch and go at Sturup, or fly through Sturup control zone (CTR) you have to call ESOS_CTR for clearance as they will be in charge of the controlled airspace of Sturup CTR.

As Thomas said, a flight plan should not contain airport ICAO codes, except for arrival and departure airports. In real life such a flight plan would be rejected. If you want to fly to an airport for a touch and go landing (TGL) and then continue to another airport, you should file the coordinates of the airport for the TGL or file an nearby navaid. So in your example if you take off from ESML, make a TGL at ESME and land at ESMS, your flight plan should be from ESML to ESMS, possibly with coordinates in the route section indicating the TGL at Eslöv. In the remarks section, you can indicate that you intend to make a touch and go at ESME by writing for example "RMK/TGL ESME".

Peter Westergren
11 hours ago, Thomas Ljung said:

Hi Peter,

1. Yes, you file the route in the route section of the flightplan. But not the departure/arrival airport codes, or exit/entry points of the control zones.
But waypoints, VOR:s/NDB:s or coordinates should be in your route.

2. No, you don't need to do that. But before entering controlled airspace, you must have a clearence from the controller.

If you are unsure, ask the controller. We are there to help!
Happy flying!

Thank you for your answer much appreciated :)

Peter Westergren
7 hours ago, Martin Loxbo said:

If ESOS_CTR is online, consider every CTR and TMA as controlled airspace, since ESOS will act as all ATS units in Sweden. So if you intend to fly from Landskrona to Eslöv in class G airspace only, you don't have to talk to anyone. But if you want to make a touch and go at Sturup, or fly through Sturup control zone (CTR) you have to call ESOS_CTR for clearance as they will be in charge of the controlled airspace of Sturup CTR.

As Thomas said, a flight plan should not contain airport ICAO codes, except for arrival and departure airports. In real life such a flight plan would be rejected. If you want to fly to an airport for a touch and go landing (TGL) and then continue to another airport, you should file the coordinates of the airport for the TGL or file an nearby navaid. So in your example if you take off from ESML, make a TGL at ESME and land at ESMS, your flight plan should be from ESML to ESMS, possibly with coordinates in the route section indicating the TGL at Eslöv. In the remarks section, you can indicate that you intend to make a touch and go at ESME by writing for example "RMK/TGL ESME".

Thank you for your answer. That answers my questions. Hope i do right the next time i fly. :)