When do I add "heavy"?

Jonas Koch (1448221)

Jonas Koch (1448221)

Hey guys, I am considering a larger aircraft for my collection, and I know about the wake turbulence classes, and I am aware that you add "heavy" to your call sign, to alert others about the wake turbulence of such an aircraft.

So my question is, when do I need to add "heavy"? is it only on departure/arrival or is it everywhere even when checking in with center controllers?

Thanks in advance! 

Cheers Jonas   

Anders Moen (1066135)

For aircraft in the heavy wake turbulence category the word “Heavy” shall be included immediately after the aircraft call sign in the initial radiotelephony contact between such aircraft and ATS units.

Source: ICAO doc 4444, 4.9.2

Edited by Anders Moen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jonathan Hougaard (1457572)

Note that the ICAO recommendations are just that - recommendations. Every contry have its own rules, and there are often small local differences. For example, in Denmark, you shall add "HEAVY" on the initial call to tower/AFIS/approach/arrival only, not when talking to ACC:

7.9.4 Et luftfartøj af Wake Turbulence kategorien HEAVY skal ved første opkald til Tower/AFIS og Approach/Arrival tilføje ”HEAVY” til sit kaldesignal. Et luftfartøj af typen A380-800 skal dog ved første opkald til en lufttrafiktjenesteenhed tilføje ”SUPER” til sit kaldesignal.

Source: BL 7-14

Edited by Jonathan Hougaard