VATSpy update files

Adrian Bjerke (1339353)

Adrian Bjerke (1339353)

23.11.2020 Update: The newest version of VATSpy automatically updates the datafiles from the official GitHub page.

Hello.

VATSpy is a really old software, that has not had their sectors updated in over 10 years and because of this the map of vatspy is really outdated by default.

The best example is "ENTR" in Norway which is now controlled by ENBD in Norway, and ENTR itself have not existed in many many years now.

Finland has also converted from EFES to EFIN, again causing issues with Finland not lighting up on the map.

There are several other sectors out thru the world that is not lighted either, and based on this: https://github.com/FlynZSky/VAT-Spy-Client-Data-Update-Project I have made an updated version that includes EFIN and the newest Norwegian sectors.

Installation is really simple, and you will all of a sudden see a lot better coverage of ATC.

Keep in mind that vatspy has some limitations such in the UK where LON_S_CTR will show the whole EGLL FIR lighted up, this is not the file's fault, but limitations in VATSpy itself, however it is a lot better than default VATSpy.

Edit: Download from the official GitHub page - https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/vatspy-data-project

Edited by Adrian Bjerke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Peter Korkala (1439607)

Thanks Adrian!

Is it also possible (for you?) to also add new airports to VATSpy? 

I'm thinking of i.e. LTFM and ZBAD, and later in December also ESKS.

/Peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Peter Korkala (1439607)

I now have the airport ESKS on the correct location in VAT-Spy! I figured out that the coordinates was in the wrong format (but correct otherwise). On the charts from LFV it's in Degr Min Sec, and VatSpy wants it in Degr, decimals. I discovered this during my work on a scenery for ESKS for X-plane.

So the correct line in VATSpy.dat should read:

ESKS|Salen Scandinavian Mountains|61.164722|12.833888||ESOS|0

With this correction, the airport is now on the Swedish side:

image.png.ccfd6cbb9a4556128f02f2eb74a81357.png

And if someone running X-Plane wants to try my scenery for ESKS it's to be found here: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/56922-esks-scandinavian-mountainszip/

Thanks!

Peter

• Thanks 1

Felix Holmertz (1052926)

Seems like ESOS is not showing up after last update.

EDIT: Disregard. Had an old FIRBoundaries file

Edited by Felix Holmertz

Jonas Kuster (1158939)

Please share your changes also here: https://github.com/FlynZSky/VAT-Spy-Client-Data-Update-Project. So also people not from the Scandinavian region can profit and have correct data displayed. I did open pull requests up to the latest post of Martin, which is not yet included.

Jonas Kuster Leader Operation - vACC Switzerland | www.vacc.ch

Peter Toft (1280555)

If you guys are able to make it, wouldn’t it be an idea to extend the EKDK boundaries so it also covers the delegated area which we have been given from Scottish? 
Often pilots call on frequency “I can see that I am outside your airspace...” when they are not...

Just an idea, if it is possible to make :) 

Martin Stockzell (1294494)
1 hour ago, Jonas Kuster said:

Please share your changes also here: https://github.com/FlynZSky/VAT-Spy-Client-Data-Update-Project. So also people not from the Scandinavian region can profit and have correct data displayed. I did open pull requests up to the latest post of Martin, which is not yet included.

Yes, since I'm a github-noob I spoke to Nestor about it.

I think the latest "official" github is the https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/vatspy-data-project though

Jonas Kuster (1158939)

Yep, got also aware of this shortly after my post. The new git from the user "vatsimnetwork" will be used in the future. Open changes from FlynZSky should still be taken into account.

Jonas Kuster Leader Operation - vACC Switzerland | www.vacc.ch

Peter Toft (1280555)
9 hours ago, Adrian Bjerke said:

Something like this? 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.e33e723471e97b5cf91a56b4f008fab6.png

Just what I meant! Perfect!

• 1 month later...
Adrian Bjerke (1339353)

I have added the rest of the world now including 3199 new airfields in North/South America and Pacific + 2139 new airfields in Africa, Asia, Russia and Australia. Again excluding heliports.

Including the update from yesterday there is now a total of 6521 new airfields imported in VATSpy, this may cause to some duplications somewhere if an airport have changed an ICAO code, however I do not think it will be much of an issue. 

I will include the FIRBoundaries file here aswell so both files are located in the same post, but there is no further changes in it from the file I made 17th February.

Edited by Adrian Bjerke
  • Thanks 1

Peter Toft (1280555)

I have another request:

In VATSpy Aarhus is spelled "Aaehus", is it possible to change that to Aarhus? :)

• Martin Stockzell (1294494) pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
Adrian Bjerke (1339353)

File has been updated further with more helipads and oilplatforms in Norway and Denmark!

I recommend everyone to download the github files regularly, they keep being updated by other people too every week!

Edited by Adrian Bjerke
  • Like 2

Christian Kovanen (1379372)

I recomend everyone to use git instead of downloading the zip every time just do git pull in the folder and it will download the changes from github (might need to install git if you dont have it already on windows). Just a friendly reminder since "download the github files" might not be clear enough to people on the best way to update git repositories.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Thomas Ljung (1253198)

VATspy is with the latest updates even more excellent and a great tool!
When upgrading in Windows, uninstall the old version and delete the catalog "C:\Users\youraccount\AppData\Roaming\VAT-Spy" and make a fresh install.

• Adrian Bjerke (1339353) unpinned this topic