Iceland Real World Meet-up [12-14th June 2016]

Wygene Chong

On 11/16/2015, 5:46:27, Johan Grauers said:

Annoyingly I am off 12 and 13 but I am at work the 14th of June, so I don't think I'll be able to make this. As the schedule gets published I might consider attending the first bits but I would have to leave on the 13th which isn't ideal to say the least so I don't think this will work for me.

Roger Johan, it would be wonderful to see you there... I know you would really like to have a peek at the ATC areas on 12th :P You are still more than welcome to come along... Iceland is only 2-3 hours flying time from Europe so you could stay until afternoon on 13th, perhaps skipping just the helicopter flight. 

On 11/16/2015, 6:01:37, Martin Werner said:

I'm afraid I have to declince. This would have been really awesome, but I have to spend a bit of money on a trip to the US later in august.

Hopefully another time!

Understood... there is a lot of travelling to do in summer :D

Johan Grauers (1113891)
12 hours ago, Wygene Chong said:

Roger Johan, it would be wonderful to see you there... I know you would really like to have a peek at the ATC areas on 12th :P You are still more than welcome to come along... Iceland is only 2-3 hours flying time from Europe so you could stay until afternoon on 13th, perhaps skipping just the helicopter flight. 

I might work as a controller but I still love doing visits to other places, always interesting to see how the work and what differences we have. Sometimes I even find things that I try to "steal" and adapt into our own procedures :D

It's a bit of a money question as well though as last month I was hit with a load of unexpected expenses (over £500) and did a big trip to the US so I will have to wait until february/march I think before I can plan my summer budget a bit more.

Otherwise you can always stop by Manchester on the way, it's sort of on the way ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plan for the next six months

- Start of January 2016 > 13th June helicopter flight will be confirmed. At the moment, VATSIM Scandinavia is booked on a 5-seater AS 350 B2 Ecureuil (former Air Greenland helicopter). If we get more than 5 people, the helicopter will make two flights. The flight is optional for those who cannot afford it or do not wish to do it :)
- End of April 2016 > Final list of people coming to the safari on 14th June (optional).
- End of May 2016 > Final list of people attending will be published, with final itinerary. 

• 2 weeks later...

As much of Scandinavia enters the winter months, be inspired by Iceland:

By Ozzo Photography, Keflavík.

Our helicopter will officially be confirmed in early January, so that'll be the next update :) 

• 4 weeks later...
Wygene Chong

January Update

The ATC Tour

At the moment, because of low numbers, everyone who has said they can come will be allowed to enter the control tower and radar control areas, with Bjarki (Icelandic ATCO) as our tour guide. If numbers exceed 10-15, that's when we will start picking only VATSIM members for entry. 

The Helicopter Tour

The 5-seater helicopter is now chartered for VATSIM Scandinavia. It will make one flight at 19:30z on 13th June (after dinner on Day 2). It is not compulsory to join in but it is not every day that we charter an old Air Greenland helicopter to do a dusk city tour and to land on a mountain exclusively for VATSIM members! :P

The discounted price for the 45 minute tour is 28.710 ISK. 

I will be using your VATSIM email address to send you the payment link. Please let me know as soon as possible if you are unable to make it. You can also pay for multiple people (i.e. family/friends) via the same link. 

The Safari

... is cancelled due to low numbers. So Day 3 will be departure day for everyone unless you wish to stay for your own travels :)

Overall, it would be nice to see a few more sign-ups in the next few months, as people finalise their summer holiday plans! Remember, friends are welcome too!

Edited by Wygene Chong

Wygene Chong
8 hours ago, Oliver Hayes said:

Sorry I cant go. Will be in Iceland. But with school. Might bump into you as we are going on a Helicopter tour aswell.

Hi Oliver, you are welcome to join in for parts of the tour as well, a couple of Icelanders (Bjarki and Karl) are doing exactly the same. The ATC tour is on a Sunday (12th June) which would be a really unique thing that you can't normally do as a member of the public, and the helicopter tour is at 7:30pm on a Monday night (with a discounted rate) :)

Johan Grauers (1113891)

It's looking very unlikely that I will be able to gather enough cash in time for this, therefore sadly I think I will have to pass on this one :(

Wygene Chong
45 minutes ago, Johan Grauers said:

It's looking very unlikely that I will be able to gather enough cash in time for this, therefore sadly I think I will have to pass on this one :(

Roger :) Tack för det!

Martin Tornberg (1069087)

I will book the flight end of Jan when I got some money again after Christmas holidays. I will reserve a room too hopefully at the same time. :)

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Unfortunately I have to bail out from this as well due to financical issues at least for now being unemployed.

If I find a job and get some extra money for this trip, I will of course try to join as I would really like to see the nature of Iceland and the cobtrol room.

For everyone else, have am excellent trip!

Jouka

PS: Wygene, I replied directly to the helicopter tour company and cancelled my booking for now, so you don't have to do that anymore. Thanks anyways :)

Wygene Chong
5 hours ago, Jouka Ahponen said:

Unfortunately I have to bail out from this as well due to financical issues at least for now being unemployed.

If I find a job and get some extra money for this trip, I will of course try to join as I would really like to see the nature of Iceland and the cobtrol room.

For everyone else, have am excellent trip!

Jouka

PS: Wygene, I replied directly to the helicopter tour company and cancelled my booking for now, so you don't have to do that anymore. Thanks anyways :)

Thanks for that Jouka, hope you manage to come along eventually as well :) 

On 1/4/2016 at 1:36 AM, Oliver Hayes said:

@Wygene Chong Will do. Will ask my Dad if he will fly over as hes a real world ATC at Manchester Airport. He might like seeing the differences :)

Good to hear Oliver, just let us know as soon as possible if you (and/or your father/friends/family) would like to attend any part of the trip so we can finalise the bookings!

• 1 month later...
Wygene Chong

March Update
We're now three and a half months away from the meet-up!

The planning team has been busy behind-the-scenes putting together the trip's final details. We will need a definitive list of attendees by the end of May, so there's still plenty of time to put your name on the list. The list will be passed on to 'authorities' to allow the VATSIM group exclusive access to control areas.

As a reminder, because Iceland is a little off the map, this trip also doubles as a 'holiday' and friends and family members are welcome to attend. Please indicate how many people you are bringing when you first sign up. Friends and family will also be welcome to enter the control areas.

People have started booking flights and accommodation already in Iceland, and some have paid for the chartered helicopter tour. There are still 2 spots left on the helicopter tour, first come first served.

In sum, we look forward to seeing some more names get involved!

• 3 weeks later...
Wygene Chong

We have just lost two more people for this trip (for valid reasons) and so the helicopter tour is now cancelled.

The trip will now centre on the BIRD/BIRK visit, the BICC visit and group walking tour around Reykjavik :) Updated list of attendees on the main post, please let me know if you want to sign up, add an extra friend/family, confirm a "maybe", or pull out completely.

• 1 month later...
Wygene Chong

Hi everyone,

Summer is just around the corner and it's time to get serious about this. In order to get security clearance from the authorities, I need the list of full names by...

12:00z on 22nd May 2016

If your name is not on the list on the front post by then, you will not be able to enter the ATC areas at Reykjavik and Gufunes. If you are bringing friends/family, I need ALL their full names.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Wygene Chong

Reminder, sign-ups close next Sunday at 1200z. I am sending PMs to those on the front post to confirm attendance.

Wygene Chong

Sign-ups closed.

People who have signed up, expect further details over the next fortnight, including final itinerary, important phone numbers and other little tips :)

• 2 weeks later...
Wygene Chong

Hi everyone, the itinerary is coming out either tomorrow or Monday. Keep a look out for it in your emails/Facebook. There will also be the phone numbers of the 3 leaders provided: Bjarki (BIRD/BIRK), Halldór (BICC) and Martin (VATSIM Scandinavia).

• Like 1

Wygene Chong

This Sunday and Monday, VATSIM Scandinavia will be in Iceland!

On Sunday 12th June at 12:30pm, come and say hi at the courtyard of Hallgrimskirkja (Skólavörðustígur, 101 Reykjavík). We'll be heading out for a group lunch in Reykjavik, before travelling to the Gufunes Telecommunications Centre for a private tour by an Iceland Radio Operator. The tour is only open to those who have already signed up but you are welcome to join us for the lunch, and also the group dinner later that evening.

On Monday 13th June we will be doing some group sightseeing around Reykjavik as well as having a guided tour of the Reykjavik Airport Tower and Area Control Centre by an Icelandic air traffic controller. This tour is only open to people who have signed up, but you are welcome to join us for sightseeing and other activities. Meet up at 10:00am at Hallgrimskirkja, Skólavörðustígur, 101 Reykjavík.

See you then!

-- 

For Monday 13th, the exact schedule is not confirmed because we are waiting on the Chief Controller to say when she wants the tour, but the meet-up at 10am is pretty much set :)

• Like 1

Wygene Chong

Hiya! Please find attached the public version of the final itinerary (without phone numbers etc...). This is for people for are already in Iceland and want to join in last minute. You might get to enter the guided tours, but no guarantee. However, you are welcome to join in the sightseeing, lunches/dinners and plane-spotting!

Iceland Meet-Up 2016 (Non-VATSIM).pdf

• Wygene Chong unpinned this topic