WISH LIST TO OUR WEB/SERVER DEPARTMENT

Magnus Gustafsson (880543)

WISH LIST TO OUR WEB/SERVER DEPARTMENT

To get some good interaction and good ideas flowing regarding functions and enhancements on our platforms, we start an "Wish list" thread. There is no promise that your wishes will become true, but still it can give good ideas to enhance our services on server/website/forum. 

This concerns functions for both ATC & Pilots, so feel free to get the good ideas flowing and also do respond to others posts to give some idea if there is many who like one idea or use the "like" functions on the post.

This post will be amended by web/server department to to show what they maybe start working on and the progress on function/idea.

Magnus

----------------------------------------### UNDER THIS LINE IS EDITED BY WEB STAFF ###---------------------------------------------------------

List of systems to be implemented (dates will be added as we start on the list):

* Bugfix with the member list (not being able to update our database vs vatsim database)
* Fix of red/green names on frontpage (online atc)
* Fix with name coming from VATSIM Database with wrong encoding (ex, å) - (working on it)
* Booking of ATC sessions via the website - (planned) - 

* Visual presentation (map) of online ATC within VATSIM Scandinavia region - tba
* Quick links to statistics - tba
* Activity of active atc list - tba

* Referendum system with SSO - tba

Web cleans up this thread continuously when things are completed

• Like 1

• Magnus Gustafsson (880543) pinned this topic

I would like:

• Possibility to book ATC position on website!
  • Interaction function between pilot and ATC. Pilot are able to inform that he is departing/arriving to airport/airspace and would like ATC for the flight. ATC are able to respond on the function, "I will be there for you".  

Magnus 

• Like 2

Wygene Chong

I agree it would be really nice to be able to book ATC positions on the website :) 

Also, it would be cool to have a map of online ATC in Scandinavia. A bit like a mini-vRoute/vattastic/servinfo, but one on our home page. It should focus only on Scandinavia and have the correct sectors/airports light up when ATC logs on. We can already track who is online, but it would be nice to have it in a picture format.

• Like 1

Christian Frederiksen

Traffic information.

Being able to see how many airplanes that have visited or departed from what, or maybe just the major airports or countries, in Vatsim Scandinavia within a given time period.

Christian Frederiksen
Director of Copenhagen FIR
Denmark@vatsim-scandinavia.org

Sebastian Rekdal (1240094)

Well we have VAT-spy for that :P

A better, more complex and organized training system (which runs thorough a website, like VATSIM UK's RTS system).

• Like 1

Sebastian Rekdal | C3
VATSIM United Kingdom
...og en ekstremt pratsom bergenser

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

http://stats.vatsim-germany.org/

There is a good site for Christian. Why invent a wheel again? Sebastian. I don't think VAT-Spy does show any historical data. It just show the current live network situation. Please tell me if I am wrong and also tell me where I can find the historical data.

And my suggestion: Some kind clear list of currently active and inactive controllers which would show also their hours and rating and also activity. This could probably be a staff/board only thing or then open list. At least it should be editable only by staff. And of course it should pull the data directly from Vatsim, so it would not require any manual inputs except maybe adding a controller on the list.

Benefits? FIR directors would easily see their current controller capacity and how active the controllers within his FIR is. Therefore it would become easier to reward the active controllers by better positions on events for example (activity is usually proportional on experience). And also FIR directors could monitor easier the inactive controllers that his FIR has and maybe that way send them some kind of notification like "You have became inactive controller, do you still have interest on controlling on VATSIM. We could set up a quick refresh session for you and you would be active for another 6 months if you want".

Edited by Jouka Ahponen
  • Like 1

Christian Frederiksen

http://stats.vatsim-germany.org/

There is a good site for Christian. Why invent a wheel again? Sebastian. I don't think VAT-Spy does show any historical data. It just show the current live network situation. Please tell me if I am wrong and also tell me where I can find the historical data.

And my suggestion: Some kind clear list of currently active and inactive controllers which would show also their hours and rating and also activity. This could probably be a staff/board only thing or then open list. At least it should be editable only by staff. And of course it should pull the data directly from Vatsim, so it would not require any manual inputs except maybe adding a controller on the list.

Benefits? FIR directors would easily see their current controller capacity and how active the controllers within his FIR is. Therefore it would become easier to reward the active controllers by better positions on events for example (activity is usually proportional on experience). And also FIR directors could monitor easier the inactive controllers that his FIR has and maybe that way send them some kind of notification like "You have became inactive controller, do you still have interest on controlling on VATSIM. We could set up a quick refresh session for you and you would be active for another 6 months if you want".

I know about that website, but same can be said about the suggestion that Magnus suggested. vroute gives you possibility to book and view only ATC.

Christian Frederiksen
Director of Copenhagen FIR
Denmark@vatsim-scandinavia.org

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Sure Christian, but it's much simpler to bookmark a site on your browser than install a completely new application just to book and view ATC positions. Anyways, if someone if willing to do a stats page on Vatsim scandinavia page then fine. I don't have anything against that.

Sebastian Rekdal (1240094)

Sebastian. I don't think VAT-Spy does show any historical data. It just show the current live network situation. Please tell me if I am wrong and also tell me where I can find the historical data.

True... my bad!  :)

Sebastian Rekdal | C3
VATSIM United Kingdom
...og en ekstremt pratsom bergenser

Martin Stockzell (1294494)

Indeed, statistics would be really awesome. And that might make both ATC and pilots more active (just look at Bremen radars incredible online-stats)

Mathias Johnsen (839996)

I would like:

• Interaction function between pilot and ATC. Pilot are able to inform that he is departing/arriving to airport/airspace and would like ATC for the flight. ATC are able to respond on the function, "I will be there for you".  

Magnus 

@Magnus

Could you elaborate on this?

What about a chat function on the forum, that both guests and members could use? Maybe put some easy links for "CHAT WITH MEMBERS" on the frontpage?

@Magnus

Could you elaborate on this?

What about a chat function on the forum, that both guests and members could use? Maybe put some easy links for "CHAT WITH MEMBERS" on the frontpage?

I like an function to give pilot the opportunity to request ATC for his planed flight or ongoing flight. As there is no formal way for pilots to "request" ATC for their flight and no way for us ATC to see if there will be an big group flight  or high flow to specific airspace or airport during set time, beside writing in an "informal" way on post on forum.

So I see before me(maybe):

• Calendar type layout (good and fast overview)
  • Vatsim member (pilot) can fast and easy make a post (Callsign, Country, airport, timespan for arrival/departure, free text)
  • ATC verification that he/she will cover the "wish" from the pilot/s: Either via ATC booking system(currently Vroute) or as similar post as pilot did but chose field set field as ATC instead for repopulated pilot.
  • The pilot´s saved post and ATC saved post (if they are at same time/place) would overlay each other in the calendar view. Example: Finland could be yellow. If pilot request Finland(specific airport/airspace) for set time, that post would be light yellow. If ATC then responds on same time, the overlay could be dark yellow.

This is to try to give a enhancement regarding service to our pilots as they do not have any formal way to say "Hey, I am flying to night, I like to have ATC and you like to have pilots".

Magnus

Edited by Magnus Gustafsson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Wygene Chong unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...

As for now there are three tabs for booked ATC, online ATC and online pilots.

I suggest getting rid of the online atc, and instead combine booked and online atc, to create further incentive for our pilots to fly. I don't know if this is even possible and how to acctually separate them from each other, but I doubt that many visitors look at the online atc-tab.

I often find myself to just log in without booking in advance, and thus I'm not visible other then on the online atc-tab, which again no one looks at...

@Peter Persson is this even possible from a technical standpoint? And what are the opinions of others?

1 hour ago, Martin Werner said:

Sorry about creating a new thread, just missed the "Wishlist". My bad!

I tried out the "Merge" function! With some wrongdoings from my side I got them together!

On 2015-08-21 at 11:40 AM, Magnus Gustafsson said:

Booking of ATC sessions via the website - (planned)

That has to be the primary wish on our homepage!

Magnus

1 hour ago, Magnus Gustafsson said:

I tried out the "Merge" function! With some wrongdoings from my side I got them together!

That has to be the primary wish on our homepage!

Magnus

Maybe try to contact Michal Rok to see if there is some sort of API available?

48 minutes ago, Martin Werner said:

Maybe try to contact Michal Rok to see if there is some sort of API available?

As Mathias already pointed out on top post, that is "right up there" regarding priority! But as no one of us is getting paid to do this :) , we need to hope that Web team find time and energy to find out if it´s easy enough to implement vs. the workload required!

So we can only hope for the best! But they know of Michal Rok already and the guides he has!

Magnus 

In case no-one uses this, VATEUD's API allows for booking ATC sessions (for staff only) which I have been using to do mass bookings for events.

On 2016-01-16 at 2:16 AM, Wygene Chong said:

In case no-one uses this, VATEUD's API allows for booking ATC sessions (for staff only) which I have been using to do mass bookings for events.

Yes, I used it for mass book Finland positions for FSS.

Magnus

Damon Hemstrom Burton (1270930)

https://github.com/tarakanbg/vatbook

Might be something? I'm not very technical, but I know it may be of SOME use, should Michael not be able to help.

Med vänliga hälsningar | With kind regards

Damon Hemström Burton (1270930) 

5aa038026e870_Louise-Swinglish-Flagsmall.jpg.738ae05b06b664de8db44b0a1bb6cc48.jpg Jag svarar kanske på Engelska då det ser konstigt ut när jag skriver på Svenska även om jag förstår allt ni säger...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Otto Suhonen

Maybe we could get VatSca Facebook feed embedded to VatSca website's front page(or alternatively news section)?

• Like 1

Mikael Harju (1406319)
7 hours ago, Otto Suhonen said:

Maybe we could get VatSca Facebook feed embedded to VatSca website's front page(or alternatively news section)?

image.png

Something like that? The frontpage is rather crowded so I'm not sure if it fits there. The news section could be a good choice, as it is not used at the moment.

• Martin Stockzell (1294494) unfeatured and unpinned this topic