OLD FORUM

Magnus Gustafsson (880543)

• 1 month later...
Gustav Kauman (1262761)

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but after the forum change it seems that I can't delete/remove my own posts. I don't know if it's on purpose or what, but it's something that I'd like to able to do ;)

Peter Persson

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but after the forum change it seems that I can't delete/remove my own posts. I don't know if it's on purpose or what, but it's something that I'd like to able to do ;)

Do you recieve any error, when trying to delete posts?

Aleksander Storma (1145889)

You're able to delete your posts if you have admin rights. If you don't, you can only edit the post. Simple thing- think before you post ;)

Gustav Kauman (1262761)

Well Aleksander that's not really a solution to the problem.. I could also go in and simply remove all the text, but then we'd have a lot of unnecessary posts on the forum and we probably don't need that either.

Peter: No I don't have that, so I guess no deleting of a person's own post unless we change something

Aleksander Storma (1145889)

Except of the weekly event threads is there a need to delete your posts ? Even if it is I guess we have enough people with admin rights to keep the forum tidy.

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

I disagree with Aleksander. User should be able to freely delete their own posts if they want. That's an usual tradition on multiple forums and I cant see any reason why shouldn't it be here as well.

As already said, user can delete all the content on his messages and leave them for admins to remove. This is not really ideal way to go.

Sure one should think before posting, but mistakes happen and in my opinion it's better that user recognizes them and deletes them before they cause any possible incovenience to anyone. That way also admins don't really need to play as a judge on the forums in regards to that message.

And lastly, users were able to delete their own posts on the old forums. Why change the system?

Edited by Jouka Ahponen
  • Like 1

Mathias Johnsen (839996)

I can answer on this since I set the rule that users are not allowed to delete posts. The reason for that decisions is that people can abuse the delete function. I am not talking about when you do a double post, miss click on post, stuff like that.

But think about if the bad stuff.

Example:

Post about "My first time online".
A user joins the conversation and types "YOU NOOB, STAY OFF THE NETWORK".
10 people reads this post, and it generates a lot of more discussion. Then the user goes and delete the post before a admin/staff member can see what's been done here.

This makes our investigation harder as we have no evidence of the actual post. If the user only can edit the post. We have records of the edited text as well. 

I hope you understand why, and we are a lot of people who can delete posts, so just report the one you want deleted, and we can help you.

Sidenote: I could maybe add the function so that users can HIDE their own content(so that only board, moderators and admins can see it, then delete it if its not needed). Thoughts?

• Like 1

Gustav Kauman (1262761)

I hope you understand why, and we are a lot of people who can delete posts, so just report the one you want deleted, and we can help you.

That was all the answer I needed. I understand now

Sidenote: I could maybe add the function so that users can HIDE their own content(so that only board, moderators and admins can see it, then delete it if its not needed). Thoughts?

This would be completely fine, since most people can't see the post(s) and staff can remove it. You could maybe edit it first and write someting like "Staff please remove this post" and then the staff know what to do ;)

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Yep, thought also the option of hiding. Sounds good for me at least.

and not that there is lots of "trolling" on this forum anyways.

• Magnus Gustafsson (880543) unpinned this topic