So, what if...

Peter Wilhelmsson

Peter Wilhelmsson

Hello there,

After the situation arose in the mast live event, I need to ask a question: 

In my flight from ESSA-ESMQ, I was toddling along at FL190 southbound in L87 through PELUP, VIBAR and MOVIS for my MOVIS3E arrival. At some point, I need to start my descent from FL190 so I can be at 5000A at 17 nm from KAL-DME. I know I can't initiate my descent without ATC approval, but at the time _CTR was completely stuffed, I was simply not able to get my request called in. I know I could send a text message, but that'd hardly help, only worsen the situation for the ATC. 

I haven't been able to find the situation in any of the documentation I've read through, so I reach out to you instead. It'll probably happen again next Sunday :D

Oh yeah, now I also remembered that ATC had tried to contact me, but I was there the whole time and listened for my callsign and had somehow missed it amidst the traffic. :/

But given these circumstances, what is the proper way to handle it? Just hold my altitude and heading and wait until we manage to establish contact? 

Arvid Hansson (1162891)
8 minutes ago, Peter Wilhelmsson said:

Just hold my altitude and heading and wait until we manage to establish contact?

Correct. Don't start descending without an instruction that allows you to do so. If you get the descent instruction too late and end up high on profile, ATC will assist you by means of vectoring to increase track mileage, holding etc.

Edited by Arvid Hansson

Martin Loxbo (811805)

This can happen in real life too. Normally even if you get your clearance a bit late you should be able to catch up with your descent profile (pitch down to increase the speed and/or use speedbrakes). If you feel that the frequency is very busy you might want to ask for descent a bit earlier, if you're afraid of ending up high on the profile. In this case bear in mind that ATC expects you to start the descent promptly once you have the clearance, so don't stay at your cruising level waiting for the ToD (unless told "when ready, descend...").

Peter Wilhelmsson

Yep, I guess I was to excited about all the people being around to think proactively :D

• Like 1