Request for traffic controllers

Egbert Drenth

Egbert Drenth

Hi,

I use VRoute to check where to fly, based on online ATC at that moment.
It hhas appened now a few times (only a few times, but still..) that a controller was online, I connected and started to setup only to discover the controller had gone offline 10-15 min later.
At the moment the controller went offline, there were 3 aircraft preparing for departure.

I fully understand that controllers are not 24/7 online ¬¬ but please fill-in the time that you will go offline
I don't know where VRoute gets its data from, but it would be convenient when all controllers fill in when they plan to leave (and most of them do luckily).
If I had known that the controller would leave in 10 min, I would have chosen another airport.
It's no big deal but it would make the lives of our pilots a little bit easier. :)

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

I understand your frustration on this but this "issue" has two sides. The controller side at least for me is that I like to control based on feeling when I have some free time. Because of that I am unable to give an estimate when I will logoff. For example if I know I can control for 3 hours but have no traffic during the first hour, that usually takes my mood for controlling down and I might logoff already after one hour of controlling. Then if there is someone who planned his flight because he saw my logoff time, I would let him down and in worst case give the pilot a bad picture of myself and my airspace.

Also there might come some real life things you just have to do. Some of us have families, work etc. For example if you are on standby shift and you start controlling but then get a call in the middle of your planned session. Again logoff time would be false information.

Then, if logoff time is not kept by everyone on every session, it quickly loses its function because pilots start to recognize that not every controller keeps up with it and becomes untrusty and frustrated with the logoff time.

And yes, I do encourage booking and giving logoff time when controller is absolutely sure he is able to fully control the whole session. But I just wanted to tell that there is many reasons why one is not always given by the controllers.

If you want to have the best change for atc for the time you fly, you should check out atc bookings and events on vroute. Otherwise logoffs can happen and you just have to live with it. Unfortunately it is one part Vatsim after all.

/ Jouka

Edited by Jouka Ahponen
  • Like 4

Kristian Kling

Agree with Jouka. But something that really "grindes my gears" is when someone logs on for 10min and then off again. This mainly concerns TWR positions. They log in and I have to start coordinate. They control their friend who is flying and then logs off. Is there not some kind of rule that you have to be online at least 30min from when you log on? Common sense should apply here though.

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)
36 minutes ago, Kristian Kling said:

Agree with Jouka. But something that really "grindes my gears" is when someone logs on for 10min and then off again. This mainly concerns TWR positions. They log in and I have to start coordinate. They control their friend who is flying and then logs off. Is there not some kind of rule that you have to be online at least 30min from when you log on? Common sense should apply here though.

There isn't any real rule on that but basically it's an unwritten gentlemen-controller-etiquette that if you logon then be online for at least 30 minutes before logging off.

Wrong information. See message below.

Edited by Jouka Ahponen

Magnus Gustafsson (880543)
22 minutes ago, Kristian Kling said:

"grindes my gears" is when someone logs on for 10min and then off again. This mainly concerns TWR positions

8 minutes ago, Jouka Ahponen said:

There isn't any real rule on that but basically it's an unwritten gentlemen-controller-etiquette that if you logon then be online for at least 30 minutes before logging off.

http://vatsim-scandinavia.org/information/regulations/

Regulations

In addition to the Constitution, the Board have set these additional regulations:

• When logging on to any ATC position, you must remain online for at least 30 minutes.

There is an rule! If it becomes an problem regarding individual member that not following these regulations, please report it to FIR Director or me! 

Magnus

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Oh, my apologies. Should know the constitution already by now. 9_9 Well there you have it.

Edited by Jouka Ahponen

Egbert Drenth
3 hours ago, Jouka Ahponen said:

Because of that I am unable to give an estimate when I will logoff. For example if I know I can control for 3 hours but have no traffic during the first hour, that usually takes my mood for controlling down and I might logoff already after one hour of controlling

I fully understand that and that is no issue at all.
My point is, that if a controller knows that he has to log off at a certain time (for whatever reason) he indicates that.
If he doesn't know, he leaves it open.

My guess is that the controller who left us, knew already he had to go.
Otherwise why would he leave, he could have controlled 3 aircraft outbound?

But as you are saying, there are 2 sides on the matter.
(Well... matter... it's only a slight inconvenience, no big deal at all) 

• Like 1

Semir Gebran (1148433)

Asking a friendly controller directly solves this "problem"

I sometimes get those messages and I see them only as a benefit. The outcome is a win-win situation where either I will inform thee pilot I am closing unconditionally at some timeframe, where he/she will not lose time flying an unmanned airspace, or I will consider extending my time online and he/she gets to fly a manned airspace.

Really, communication makes the experience much more pleasurable to all sides. Use the rule of thumb : if you don't know, just ask, most of us will not bite ;)

• Like 7