The Green Circle Event (Suggestion)

Tom Knudsen (925670)

Tom Knudsen (925670)

On recommendation from Discord I want to suggest an event..  

All ATC wants traffic when they are online. It does not matter if you are S1, S2 or Instructor rated. Understandable but also sadly most ATC with C1 or higher rating tends to choose Center as their preferred position to staff. This may have several different reasons, but one might be to serve more pilots at one time or increased traffic. Therefore we often see those natural red areas covered with occasional tower or ground covered below,  in hectic times often also APP or DIR in divided airspaces.  This is of course excellent. 

But I at least have never ever seen lots of green circles on the map, especially at the same time. How fun would it be to have an event that populates those APP positions around our region of the world. 

So why not organize an regional flyin, or national flyin where we cover as much APP's as humanly possible? Let's see how many circles we can form at one given time. 

Now, there might be some issue of rating to have a successful even like this. Most ATC I suspect have only S1 or S2.. Well the event need you too, we need you to take part and staff respected positions below. Other issues? Well I can only think of one, ATC shortage or inactive ATCs.. This is another discussion, another topic. But we can do something with those active ATC's that are the true dedication of VATSIM Scandinavia. 

So how would we do it? Well I suggest we do it country by country or an larger event where we staff multiple scandinavian countries one night. All depends on the logistic I would bet. How can we organize it. Well with permission, we can use ATC across the border.  So i.e. to staff Sweden, we take all ATC available or willing and assign them a position or provide a list of available positions in that given country. It would then be the responsible ATC's task to read up on that APP position in order to provide adekvat service for the event.  Then we have traffic amount, normally things tend to pack up around capitol city approaches. Well there we would in fact need some higher level ATC with major airport endorsements. 

We would as mentioned above, also provide available staffing positions for S1 and S2 just to include them too.  Now, I do not know the technical aspect of this, perhaps it is not even possible or wanted. But I truly think this could be a lot of fun. 

So is this an horrible idea or something we can do logistically, can we unite?

GREENCIRCLEEVENT.thumb.jpg.7c78073a620c901696d5efb6e6b046cc.jpg

Logo is editable

Edited by Tom Knudsen
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Martin Tornberg (1069087)

Sorry for being late on this one. I like the idea and is something we should try out. I know there has been in the past a massive VATEUD event where the goal was to light up as much as possible and as far as I remember it was a success. I guess we could try to plan for this before the summer really starts, like beginnign of June. 

I would still like to see enroute stations be online as well to provide full ATC service apart from having as many Tower and Approach positions online. 

Tom Knudsen (925670)

Thanks for answering Martin. Sounds like an excellent plan for the summer. Ill happy provide the graphics if needed. Just ask on Discord :)

EDIT:

PS. The station names in the image above is interchangeable 

Edited by Tom Knudsen

• 2 weeks later...
Martin Tornberg (1069087)

I did some thinking on this and I get a feeling it might be better to do this in August or early September when the majority of the controllers are back from their summer holidays. We do want to staff as many positions as possible, so maybe it's worth to wait until Autumn? 

Tom Knudsen (925670)

Sounds good. Keep in mind the hollidays around that time. Late autgust or september is a fine time for ATC Events

• Martin Tornberg (1069087) changed the title to The Green Circle Event (Suggestion)

Important Information

When visiting this site, only cookies that are strictly necessary for you to use the website is being used, unless you have provided further consent. Read more in our Privacy Policy