[21st Nov | 11-21z] Bridge between Continents

Wygene Chong

VATSIM Scandinavia welcomes the world's pilots to one of the largest events of the year in the far north. For 10 hours on 21st November starting at 11:00z, our controllers will light up the Bridge between Continents, covering all the airspace between Scandinavia & North America and the North Atlantic all the way to the North Pole. That's over 5.5 million square kilometres to fly over!

Click Here for the Official Website

Contrast fiery volcanoes and black lava fields with glaciers and sparkling fjords in Iceland. Watch that speck of land grow larger and larger as you approach the secluded Faroe Islands in the middle of the North Sea. Or head over vast frozen landscapes to some of the remotest airports in Greenland. Who knows, you might even spot the elusive Northern Lights?

The main updates thread is in the global VATSIM forums, where we will be posting the latest news in the lead-up to the event. Please spread that link around to as many of your friends as you can!

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69663

Edited by Wygene Chong
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is now time to release the booking website for everyone!

http://www.vatsim-scandinavia.org/book/bridge

Please spread that link around your local communities. The link is also on the main post. VAs are more than welcome to continue booking their slots, however, they may now be taken by other VAs, vACCs, ARTCCs or just groups of friends ;)

So far we have 50+ pilots intending to fly in this event from the bookings so far. I'm sure that number will continue to rise as the date draws near. Remember, you DO NOT need to book if you are flying individually. Just tag on with one of the groups already booked. Only make a booking if you are a group of fliers (minimum 2 pilots, no maximum). 

ATC Divisions: emails will be going out over the next 24 hours to organise area control on both sides of the Atlantic, as well as local ATC for individual departure/arrival airports. Icelandic and Greenlandic air traffic control is also in the process of being organised and will focus on top down coverage, with extra ATC for individual airports at peak times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Suhonen said:

Is our vacc going to do a booking? I would be interested for example Glasgow-Kelafik -route.

What a great idea Otto! Of course I am relying on lots of VATSIM Scandinavia controllers to staff up Iceland, but for those not controlling, perhaps we might like to organise a group flight. 

What do you think @Martin Tornberg? 1230z EGPF>BIKF was originally allocated to Thomson Virtual but they haven't replied to my email or booked that slot. 16:15z BIRK>EKVG and 18:15z BIRK>BGBW are also nice regional flights that are not allocated to anyone yet :) 

• Like 1

Are you doing a new topic for that or do we sing up here for a flight? I personally would like to fly 1230z EGPF>BIKF because it's not too long and it's going to BIKF. I think my 757-200 is too big for BIRK. But what flight you other pilots would like?

Edited by Otto Suhonen

Any more pilots want to join Otto at 12:30z (EGPF>BIKF)? I can make a booking for VATSIM Scandinavia... maybe if we get at least 3 pilots. 

Chris Marriott

Hi guys,

BAVirtual would like to confirm their attendance at your fantastic event, and we have currently booked 2 sectors, (sorry for stepping on your toes with the EGPF-BIKF sector I hadn't seen this conversation).

Quick question, on the booking list it's saying Departure slot, hence why we have booked both the Heathrow and Glasgow sectors to Keflavik as they'd arrive at about the same time, but for arrival sectors would you want us to arrive at the time shown or depart from the originating airfield at that time?

Cheers

Chris Marriott

• Like 1

Hey Chris,

Many thanks for getting involved! All times on the booking list are 'departing' times :) Feel free to take additional slots further down the line for round trip to/from Europe, or onwards to North America. 

@Otto Suhonen, well at least we know there will be a big group leaving Glasgow at 12:30z, you can join in with British Airways Virtual! (you don't have to fly with the same callsign ;))

11 hours ago, Chris Marriott said:

Hi guys,

BAVirtual would like to confirm their attendance at your fantastic event, and we have currently booked 2 sectors, (sorry for stepping on your toes with the EGPF-BIKF sector I hadn't seen this conversation).

Quick question, on the booking list it's saying Departure slot, hence why we have booked both the Heathrow and Glasgow sectors to Keflavik as they'd arrive at about the same time, but for arrival sectors would you want us to arrive at the time shown or depart from the originating airfield at that time?

Cheers

Chris Marriott

OK. We are not even looking for that slot(EGPF-BIKF) at the moment, because we haven't got enough pilots interested to fly. So that's fully OK for me. And I think I would like to fly with you then if you are not against that. See you there!

Copying over from vatsim.net for those who don't check that forum:

Only 8 days until the premier event of the far north Atlantic begins!

We still have plenty of spaces available for VAs to book although they continue to be taken on a weekly basis. Latest count is 100+ pilots attending (movements), with BA Virtual joining in the fun :D 

In terms of ATC, New York ARTCC and Oakland ARTCC have both confirmed that there will be staffing at their airports. We are still waiting on LAX and SFO to confirm from VATUSA. Further north, VATSIM Canada is putting together its staffing at Vancouver and Montréal, as well as having a presence on Gander Radio. On the European side, we have confirmed staffing in Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, and are awaiting confirmation from VATFrance and VATSIM-UK. Finally, we are also very pleased to have supporting control from the teams at the Egyptian vACC and UAE vACC for flights to/from Cairo and Dubai. 

In this update, we would like to highlight the extremely useful Reykjavik Pilot Page, your one-stop-shop for flying in the Reykjavik Control Area. There is everything from procedural guides to charts, phraseology examples, a sector map, sceneries, airline details and more! 

Click Here for the Reykjavik Pilot Page

Just found out that DLH Virtual will fly a big group at 14:00z EDDL>BIKF :) This is not an official slot, but I have told the event manager that we will be ready for them! It should come around the same time as Air France VA from Paris, just after the BA Virtual flights have landed from London and Glasgow. 

We're now heading down the final stretch: 4 days until BBC 2015!

We're happy to announce that Phoenix Virtual will be joining us from EDDF at 15:30z. From north Africa we'll see Egyptair Virtual takeoff at 14:00z bound for Keflavik. Virtual Air Canada has also booked an additional slot departing Kangerlussuaq for Vancouver at 1945z. 

There's still time to get your VA involved by asking your staff to make a booking at http://www.vatsim-scandinavia.org/book/bridge/

@Pilots who like to fly solo: Icelandic ATC bookings have now been released so you can predict our coverage for the event. This is subject to change prior to the event (due to last minute shift cancellations etc...). We may also have other towers open for short periods.

BIRD_CTR: 1100-2100z (covers Iceland and the Faroes top down, and Central Greenland above FL195)
BICC_FSS: 1200-2100z (provides oceanic clearances to all inbound traffic, and covers Northern Greenland above FL195)
BGGL_FSS: 1600-2100z (covers all of Greenland below FL195 and top down)
BIKF_APP: 1300-2100z (covers BIKF and BIRK)
BIKF_TWR: 1100-2100z
BGSF_TWR: 1700-2000z
EKVG_I_TWR: 1700-2000z

Would someone like to post an advertisement on VATSIM Scandinavia FB? We've also made it onto the global VATSIM FB which is nice of them :) 

EDIT: Just got an email that we will also have French ATC online (LFPG and LFFF_CTR during the afternoon part of the event).

Edited by Wygene Chong
Update

Two days to go!

Fly Delta Virtual will be taking off in style at 19:00z, bound for New York (JFK), closely followed by a group of friends led by Raphael at 20:00z to Los Angeles (LAX). We've also seen our friends at vACC Malta make a booking for the 16:00z departure from Munich to Keflavik.

Need inspiration to take a trip to our Bridge between Continents? Check out these videos:

What is Incredible (Iceland) | Happy in Greenland | Visit Faroe Islands (Winter)

We look forward to seeing what you all come up with on 21st November 2015. Share your snapshots, videos and thoughts from the event here at our global updates thread. If anyone is live-streaming, we'd also love to see your link posted here beforehand. 

Two days to go until BBC 2015!

Edited by Wygene Chong

It is past midnight and so we can officially say:

Bridge between Continents 2015 is on today!

Final breakdown of bookings:

• To/from Europe = 89 movements (departing and arriving all day)
  • To North America = 22 movements (departing BIKF and BGSF at night)
  • From Egypt = 10 movements (arriving BIKF in the evening)
  • To UAE = 2 movements (departing BIKF in the morning)
  • Iceland domestic flights = 16 movements (all day centred on BIRK)

Staffing: 

Screenshots, videos and live streams:

See you all there! :D

A big Þakka þér fyrir to everyone who got involved this year! Here is what you managed to do to us 7 poor old controllers :P

• Keflavik - 102 movements (busiest airport in the world at peak period)
  • Reykjavik - 12 movements
  • Akureyri - 9 movements
  • Kangerlussuaq Søndre Strømfjord - 5 movements
  • Narsarsuaq - 5 movements
  • Vágar - 5 movements
  • Thule - 3 movements
  • Egilsstaðir - 3 movements
  • Ísafjörður - 1 movement 

Totals: Iceland = 127 movements | Greenland = 13 movements | Faroe Islands = 5 movements

Estimated Overflights: 20-30 movements via BIRD corridor, 10 movements via BICC

We apologise to all the pilots who didn't quite get the coverage or service they expected. As you can see, we were short on controllers and doing the best with what we had. 

We look forward to an even better event in November 2016!

Edited by Wygene Chong
  • Like 3

• Aleksander Storma (1145889) unpinned this topic
  • Krister Larsen (1340812) unfeatured this topic

Important Information

When visiting this site, only cookies that are strictly necessary for you to use the website is being used, unless you have provided further consent. Read more in our Privacy Policy