Jump to content

Suggestion for Topsky with metric flight level


Hongye Rudi Zhang (1326158)
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hongye Rudi Zhang (1326158)

Hi,

I’m a C3 Controller of VATPRC. I personally use Topsky. I found that the existing metric altitude is converted by feet(9150m FL300). But actually according to Metric level of China and Mongolia we are using fixed conversion (9200m FL301). 
3059D940-33C1-4A5B-BA33-FE387A04F849.thumb.jpeg.eb30e8cba097d2f20948c40f58a7ce06.jpeg

Is that possible for you to change that by that chart?

 

Best regards

Edited by Hongye Zhang
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juha Holopainen

Hi,

the plugin itself is based on imperial units and for that reason the metric option uses the conversion table for areas where the primary unit of measurement for altitude is feet, i.e. the metric value is just the feet value rounded to the nearest meter or 50 meters depending on the plugin settings. I don't think I'll be adding a full metric levels mode, but I can make the rounding of the metric levels to be more customizable (setting it to round to the nearest 100 meters should display the wanted metric value) as well as an option to set the default levels in the altitude related menus to display the standard metric levels. Whether that meets your needs, I don't know, but it'll be available whenever the next version is out. There will be a maintenance release to fix a couple of issues so you don't need to wait until the next major version but even still, the timeframe will be more than a week, less than a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hongye Rudi Zhang (1326158)
23 minutes ago, Juha Holopainen said:

Hi,

the plugin itself is based on imperial units and for that reason the metric option uses the conversion table for areas where the primary unit of measurement for altitude is feet, i.e. the metric value is just the feet value rounded to the nearest meter or 50 meters depending on the plugin settings. I don't think I'll be adding a full metric levels mode, but I can make the rounding of the metric levels to be more customizable (setting it to round to the nearest 100 meters should display the wanted metric value) as well as an option to set the default levels in the altitude related menus to display the standard metric levels. Whether that meets your needs, I don't know, but it'll be available whenever the next version is out. There will be a maintenance release to fix a couple of issues so you don't need to wait until the next major version but even still, the timeframe will be more than a week, less than a year.

Hi thanks! I think that is a great idea! But for some altitude is actually not same then usually like 9200m, when you calculate it will be FL302 but actually in official calculation that is FL301. Or maybe custom level settings possible? Like array([9200m]=[30100]); but in custom.  And btw there is no “clear” bottom in AHDG list. Maybe a BUG? I don’t know how to clear a heading.(actually can type H0, but I mean the list.)

Edited by Hongye Zhang
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juha Holopainen
14 hours ago, Hongye Zhang said:

Hi thanks! I think that is a great idea! But for some altitude is actually not same then usually like 9200m, when you calculate it will be FL302 but actually in official calculation that is FL301. Or maybe custom level settings possible? Like array([9200m]=[30100]); but in custom.

The values included in the level list itself can be customized already using the Airspace data file to show for example 301 instead of 300 etc., but as 30100ft is 9174.48m, the displayed metric value won't be rounded to 9200m. Setting the code to round to the nearest 100 meters would seem to solve that problem, avoiding the need for any custom conversion lists.

14 hours ago, Hongye Zhang said:

And btw there is no “clear” bottom in AHDG list. Maybe a BUG? I don’t know how to clear a heading.(actually can type H0, but I mean the list.)

Which list is that? At least the plugin's AHDG menu seems to show the 'Clear' item right where it's supposed to be, between the manual entry box and the 'More' item.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hongye Rudi Zhang (1326158)
1 hour ago, Juha Holopainen said:

The values included in the level list itself can be customized already using the Airspace data file to show for example 301 instead of 300 etc., but as 30100ft is 9174.48m, the displayed metric value won't be rounded to 9200m. Setting the code to round to the nearest 100 meters would seem to solve that problem, avoiding the need for any custom conversion lists.

That makes sense. And I could add that manually in airspace image.png.6ea98aaa005276341608e5ee623eda1d.png

 

but one another thing is image.png.fe3f56784496ac8bb4ffa422fe13f91a.png nautical item will also change to that kind of level, is that possible to change only metric level and Imperial levels still stay on 320 340 360 etc.?

 

1 hour ago, Juha Holopainen said:

Which list is that? At least the plugin's AHDG menu seems to show the 'Clear' item right where it's supposed to be, between the manual entry box and the 'More' item.

ops my bad not AHDG but ASP image.png.56319d40b5010e36e1ece2b8c078625e.png there is no 'RESUME'  item above HS otherwise you need type 'S0' into OPTTEXTimage.png.e45ff9bc8a8e50d5580090262367f89f.png 

Edited by Hongye Zhang
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juha Holopainen
3 hours ago, Hongye Zhang said:

is that possible to change only metric level and Imperial levels still stay on 320 340 360 etc.?

That may require bigger changes in the code. I’ll have a look to see if it’s an easy change, but for now it’s of course possible to set the value either by typing it into the manual entry box or using the standard ES <F8> key shortcut.

3 hours ago, Hongye Zhang said:

there is no 'RESUME'  item above HS otherwise you need type 'S0' into OPTTEXT

In the ‘B’ version of the plugin that you have set up, there is no ‘resume’ item in the menu. Instead you need to include the ‘Clear ASP value’ tag function in the tag definition and use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hongye Rudi Zhang (1326158)
24 minutes ago, Juha Holopainen said:

That may require bigger changes in the code. I’ll have a look to see if it’s an easy change, but for now it’s of course possible to set the value either by typing it into the manual entry box or using the standard ES <F8> key shortcut.

yeah i added those into TopSky.Airspace.txt like LEVELS:*: and it works, and it will be perfect if you can do round nearest 100m like what you said. :)

 

27 minutes ago, Juha Holopainen said:

In the ‘B’ version of the plugin that you have set up, there is no ‘resume’ item in the menu. Instead you need to include the ‘Clear ASP value’ tag function in the tag definition and use it.

"B" means BETA? I use the 2.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juha Holopainen
5 minutes ago, Hongye Zhang said:

"B" means BETA?

No, ‘B’ as in plugin type B. The manual uses A and B to mark the differences in the two possible versions, and you seem to have type B set up (one of their differences is HS instead of Resume in the ASP menu).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hongye Rudi Zhang (1326158)
1 hour ago, Juha Holopainen said:

No, ‘B’ as in plugin type B. The manual uses A and B to mark the differences in the two possible versions, and you seem to have type B set up (one of their differences is HS instead of Resume in the ASP menu).

Ah yeah you are right! I got that! thanks! btw what is the main different between A and B? and I think i can't inhibit that AHDG vector function right?

Edited by Hongye Zhang
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juha Holopainen

The plugin, and the default type (A) is based on the software used in Finland and Estonia. Type B has some features changed to reflect the software used by the COOPANS member ANSPs, but due to lack of information it’s far from being accurate or comprehensive. There’s no single main difference in my opinion but a number of things in various places that are a bit different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hongye Rudi Zhang (1326158)
18 minutes ago, Juha Holopainen said:

The plugin, and the default type (A) is based on the software used in Finland and Estonia. Type B has some features changed to reflect the software used by the COOPANS member ANSPs, but due to lack of information it’s far from being accurate or comprehensive. There’s no single main difference in my opinion but a number of things in various places that are a bit different.

Ah!! Thanks for your explanation! Looking forward to your changes of metric! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...