Feature Request - Hide Tags on Ground

Jonathan Fong (1308253)

Jonathan Fong (1308253)

Would it be possible to add a TopSky feature to hide tags on the ground? Perhaps by adding a feature to filter all tracks below a certain speed? It'd be really helpful for decluttering your radar scope when you have tags assumed on the ground. Thanks!

Jonas Kuster (1158939)

I've already mentioned this earlier. It would be a much appreciated addition.

Especially when working top-down from Radar/Approach, I'll need to use Easy mode. Because otherwise, I just can't keep up search for all the correlations. And beside that, it's a very unrealistic situation anyway, at least in the middle of Europe (Switzerland) where my home vACC is.

Similar plugins like vSMR exactly provide this function and its very user friendly to allow separate/different behaviour independet from the ES default settings. GRP has already the option, but it's non-functional when ES is in Easy mode. This limitation seems also be missing both in the documentation and the plugin (ProMode is not blocked when ES is set to Easy Mode).

• Like 1

Jonas Kuster Leader Operation - vACC Switzerland | www.vacc.ch

Jonathan Fong (1308253)
13 hours ago, Thomas Ljung said:

With S-mode are they hidden. With Easy mode, they are visible. 

I tried S-mode correlation last time I was controlling, and it seemed that for my assumed tags at least, the tags for aircraft on the ground were still shown. Granted, I'm not familiar with S-mode correlation and don't typically use it when controlling, but it doesn't seem to be properly working for me.

4 hours ago, Jonas Kuster said:

I've already mentioned this earlier. It would be a much appreciated addition.

Especially when working top-down from Radar/Approach, I'll need to use Easy mode. Because otherwise, I just can't keep up search for all the correlations. And beside that, it's a very unrealistic situation anyway, at least in the middle of Europe (Switzerland) where my home vACC is.

Similar plugins like vSMR exactly provide this function and its very user friendly to allow separate/different behaviour independet from the ES default settings. GRP has already the option, but it's non-functional when ES is in Easy mode. This limitation seems also be missing both in the documentation and the plugin (ProMode is not blocked when ES is set to Easy Mode).

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps it's not 'realistic' in a strict sense to hide the tags for aircraft on the ground on the radar scope, but top-down operations, as a 'VATSIMism', are inherently a deviation from reality already, because a real enroute or TMA controller does not assume radar control over aircraft on the ground anyway. It would be a really useful controller aid for APP/CTR controllers to be able to hide tags that are below a certain ground speed (or below a certain altitude, but I recognize that that might cause problems for regions such as my home division of Iceland, which has some high-altitude airports), so that we can keep our radar scope clutter free to focus on aircraft in the air, and use our ground scopes and the GRplugin to extend our coverage to the ground.

Mark-Julius Pikat (1051954)

We use "Assume aircraft on the ground as STBY" function from EuroScope, along with S-mode correlation and it works perfectly.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Mark-Julius Pikat
Chief Executive Officer of VACC Estonia
mark-julius.pikat [at] estvacc.org

Jonas Kuster (1158939)
1 hour ago, Mark-Julius Pikat said:

We use "Assume aircraft on the ground as STBY" function from EuroScope, along with S-mode correlation and it works perfectly.

I don't think the "assume as STBY" has an impact here. Otherwise, this would lead to all traffic on ground not being displayed, which is definitely not the goal. I think we agree on that.

It should be as simple as: When the GRP ProMode is on, only aircraft having the assigned squawk set should display a label. The behaviour could be improved with options like suppression of labels for inbound traffic once they have reached their assigned parking position.

I don't know what other ES default settings than the correlation mode are considered here. This needs to be answered by Juha.

Edited by Jonas Kuster

18 minutes ago, Jonas Kuster said:

Otherwise, this would lead to all traffic on ground not being displayed

I cannot confirm that.

We use this function and we can see all the aircraft on the ground (Pro Mode on/off, might work with On), and on the radar screen they are not visible (S-mode).
Other filters are not used at all.

Edited by Mark-Julius Pikat

spacer.png

Mark-Julius Pikat

Jonas Kuster (1158939)
8 minutes ago, Mark-Julius Pikat said:

We use this function and we can see all the aircraft on the ground (Pro Mode on/off, might work with On), and on the radar screen they are not visible (S-mode).

Sure, this is equivalent to use the radar simulation mode for one ASR and easy ground in another ASR (easy ground disregards the "assume as STBY"). You are perfectly able to choose the behaviour for each view. But the correlation mode is a global setting and unfortunately cannot be set differently per ASR.

Edited by Jonas Kuster

1 minute ago, Jonas Kuster said:

Sure, this equivalent to use the radar simulation mode for one ASR and easy ground in another ASR. You are perfectly able to choose the behaviour for each view. But the correlation mode is a global setting and unfortunately cannot be set differently per ASR.

Both of the ASR-s we use have "Radar" as the simulation mode.

spacer.png

Mark-Julius Pikat

Jonas Kuster (1158939)

Maybe it would be easier if GRP uses the radar simulation mode. So both behaviours (showing all labels anyway, or show only "correlated" labels) could be achieved by simply changing the mode in the corresponding ASR.