Request for oceanic functions

Bernardo Reis (1096507)

Bernardo Reis (1096507)

To make Topsky great for our oceanic usage, we would need two additional features:

• Ability to receive and send oceanic clearances via CPDLC;
  • Ability to enter position reports on the complete route window.

The main thing preventing us from implementing topsky is indeed the first point.

If the DCL menu could be adapted for the OCL request and delivery, that would be awesome!

Juha Holopainen

I haven't looked into the ATC side of oceanic clearances much as our system has no such capability. If I've understood correctly based on a couple of old pictures I've seen from the IRL Irish setup, the COOPANS system on the other hand has at least some oceanic related functionality. If I get enough information on how it's handled there (GUI changes, flight list items, etc.), it's possible that in some future version the ability to handle the RCL/CLX/CLA messages will be added.

Edited by Juha Holopainen

Bernardo Reis (1096507)

The oceanic clearance is given by Shanwick, not Shannon, so not sure if they have that capability on their system. According to THALES website, GOOO Oceanic uses Topsky, but I can't think of a case where they would give a oceanic clearance. Maybe flights going GOOO-TTZP, not sure.

A barebones menu like the one for DCL would be a great improvement already.

As for the tool to register position reports, do you think it is possible to enhance the position prediction of Euroscope with the reports? Euroscope default one is kinda bad.

Juha Holopainen

I don't expect the COOPANS system to actually have the capability to do oceanic datalink clearances, but at least Shannon ACC gets information about oceanic clearances based on some images I've come across (old picture of the Flight Plan Window showing oceanic clearance related fields and slightly newer shot of the radar screen displaying oceanic clearance related flight list items). In addition to using real stuff like that, a clearance flag item and a related menu would be required. Will not be available in version 2.4, but I'll mark it down for the future.

I've never dealt with the position estimates. It seems to be possible to set point estimates using the plugin environment, but I don't know how they actually behave - that is, whether setting them improves the prediction noticeably.

Bernardo Reis (1096507)

Thanks for your help Juha.

We will get COOPANS Topsky in Lisbon next year. If I come across any new lists or so I will let you know.

Out of curiosity, what's the date of the slightly newer shot?

Juha Holopainen

I don't know the exact date. It was from a news article from July 2019, and the color scheme shown there was taken into use in 2017 or 2018 if I remember correctly, so somewhere in that timeframe.

Edited by Juha Holopainen