Erratic plugin calculated parameters

Bernardo Reis (1096507)

Bernardo Reis (1096507)

Since the last VATSIM server update that, at least, the plugin calculated groundspeed has shown erratic values, ranging from 0 to 999. Is this something to be fixed plugin-side or VATSIM-side?

Calculated V/S I haven't noticed if it is correct or not.

Juha Holopainen

The calculations for both groundspeed and vertical speed are done with with fairly inaccurate data in terms of the time parameter (the position and altitude data on the other hand is much more accurate than what the real-life surveillance tracker has access to which helps a bit). The code assumes the delay from when the position data is sent by the pilot client to when EuroScope receives it to be constant, as the only timestamp the plugin has access to is the "received" timestamp. The fact that the delay is of course not constant in reality, and that the "received" timestamp is only available with one-second accuracy lead to a variable error in the calculation results.

I tried a quick logfile playback and the calculated groundspeeds seemed to be stable and to agree with the reported ones, so it's possible that it's something in the network data. If so, whether it's something temporary or a permanent change, we'll just have to wait and see.

Bernardo Reis (1096507)

I don't remember when the last Network update was, maybe 1 month ago? It has been like that since now.

I have had some controllers complaining about the same. What now information would you need from the network to make it better?

Matisse VanWezer (1385143)
21 hours ago, Bernardo Reis said:

I have had some controllers complaining about the same. What now information would you need from the network to make it better?

It has indeed been horrible. I've also had far too many occasions where the track would turn 180 degrees for one position update causing the STCA to go off. 

Magnus Rudjord (1170459)
3 hours ago, Thomas Ljung said:

Are you sure it has nothing to do with MSFS2020?

I've seen this with many different aircraft, regardless of simulator.

S3+MAE | Norway

Adrian Bjerke (1339353)

Certainly not MSFS. Its all related to the server structure update a month or so ago (when Amsterdam and such was made as a server choice). I know this because when this is happening it happens to absolutely ALL aircraft's on the scope, not just some few selected ones. It seem to depend alot on the server's load, higher load results in more erratic movements which sometimes even make the heading line turn 180degrees around.

Edited by Adrian Bjerke