Introducing Tier 1, Tier 2, unrestricted and training airfields

Simo Pietikäinen (890769)

Simo Pietikäinen (890769)

WEF: 01 MAR 2024

Introducing Tier 1, Tier 2, unrestricted and training airfields

Definitions: 

Training airport: 
- Airport at which training can take place.
- Solo endorsements and CPT's can only be issued/held at training airports.

Unrestricted:
- Any position that is not designated as T1 or T2.
- All controllers in respective country's controller roster are allowed to control this position, if they hold the required rating.

Tier 1 and Tier 2:
- Specially selected positions that require extensive knowledge than other positions. These reasons can vary from airfield being more busy traffic wise or the airfield in question has different procedures than others.

These VATSCA Tier 1 and Tier 2 positions have been already requested by VATSCA and approved by VATEUD and EMEA. 
They will be visible on VATSIM Scandinavia Wiki by each country respectively.

More information is available from your local training assistant and the full policy from the VATEUD website. 
(https://www.vateud.net/policies)

Also the student training policy (SOP) has been revised to reflect on these changes, so please go and have a read.
(https://wiki.vatsim-scandinavia.org/books/training-documents/page/training-policy-for-students)

FAQ: 

How does this affect me?

It is not possible to do cross country hopping and controlling without actual familiarization on the local procedures. This goes also for the unrestricted airfields in other countries.

As it is stated in section 3.7.4 in VATEUD DTP:

The vACC Scandinavia member countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden) are considered to be separate subdivisions in this policy and as such are allowed to have separate controller rosters.

I got an email saying that I'm inactive?

After the update you need to have 10+ hours of activity per 12 months PER COUNTRY. So if you have been clocking hours in Sweden and only rarely in Norway, you'll most likely get the email.
This then means, if you want to continue controlling in Norway, you'll need to request refresh training.

What about my old endorsement for ZZZZ or YYYY?

You will inherit your old endorsements and they will be converted to counter this new policy. There are some differences between our countries in classifying a position for Tier 2 or Unrestricted and the country's full endorsement list is visible in the respective country's wiki page.

How can I get more information?

Please contact your own Training Assistant for more specific information regarding your country. 

Happy controlling!

Edited by Simo Pietikäinen (890769)
added FAQ for old endorsements
  • Like 4

• Christian Kovanen (1379372) locked this topic