Denial of Service

Peter Persson

Peter Persson

Hello dear Scandinavians!

We have had a couple of days of attacks, based on our webpage, which have created alot of unwanted session files created, which did fill up the harddrive with files.

Sadly the harddrive were to full to manage the pagerequests on our forum yesterday evening (Starting about 16z).
I were forced to shutdown the server to isolate the issue and start the cleaning, the server were back again at about 18z.

But due to the sessionfiles and continuesly abuse on our webpage the load on the server have been very high the last couple of hours.

As we speak I have managed to remove about 7.7 million session files (about 95% of the sessions created).

Due to the weekend, I have just stopped the cleanup and will continue it again at about 00z tonight (13th february 00.00z) to offload the systems for tonights events and discussions. All services will be online during the night, but will be responding very slow.

I hope you have understanding of this issue and problems we have suffered the last 24 hours.

Have a great evening!

Regards,
Peter Persson

• Like 4

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

Thanks Peter and webteam for your actions trying to keep the service up. Hopefully the attacks end up soon. Seems just idiotic for someone to attack a non-profit organisation who is doing no harm to anyone, just trying to offer a great and professional service for all free of charge.

Thanks again,
Jouka

Claus Hemberg Joergensen (1138158)

Thank you for your great effort, @Peter Persson - I hope you will defeat the dark side...

Edited by Claus Hemberg Joergensen

Claus Hemberg Jørgensen
Training Director, Vatsim-Scandinavia

Peter Persson

An update on the events.

Everything is back to business now.
The countermeasures to avoid this have been applied and will be monitored a couple of days before satisfied.

In short, now when i have the data.
www.vatsim-scandinavia.org have been attacked with something that probably wants to exploit the system (hacks) but have failed, therefor we got about 90 million page requests on 24 hour which were more devastating than I expected.

In this case there can be created about 8 million files regardless size of the files, which filled up the hard disk this time.

So in short the problem is solved and everything is back in service, stronger than before!

9 hours ago, Peter Persson said:

Hello dear Scandinavians!

We have had a couple of days of attacks, based on our webpage, which have created alot of unwanted session files created, which did fill up the harddrive with files.

Sadly the harddrive were to full to manage the pagerequests on our forum yesterday evening (Starting about 16z).
I were forced to shutdown the server to isolate the issue and start the cleaning, the server were back again at about 18z.

But due to the sessionfiles and continuesly abuse on our webpage the load on the server have been very high the last couple of hours.

As we speak I have managed to remove about 7.7 million session files (about 95% of the sessions created).

Due to the weekend, I have just stopped the cleanup and will continue it again at about 00z tonight (13th february 00.00z) to offload the systems for tonights events and discussions. All services will be online during the night, but will be responding very slow.

I hope you have understanding of this issue and problems we have suffered the last 24 hours.

Have a great evening!

Regards,
Peter Persson

• Like 6