[18 and 22 Jan, 15-19z] Arvidsjaur Fly-In

Martin Tornberg (1069087)

Martin Tornberg (1069087)

Banner.jpg?raw=1

This time VATSIM-Scandinavia and the Swedish controllers are inviting you to something slightly different. This time we are welcoming you to north of Sweden on Monday 18 January and Friday 22 January between 15-19z, to the airport of Arvidsjaur (ESNX).

Arvidsjaur is located in the province of Lapland in the north of Sweden far away from vibrant big cities and is ideal for outdoor activities. Why not explore the area in your favorite GA-aircraft? Or practice your skill in the traffic pattern.

If you don't fancy eploring the area with small piston aircraft you might as well fly into Arvidsjaur from abroad? During the winter season the area around Arvidsjaur is the home for the car industry's winter testing programme. There are several flights operating from airports like EDDV, EDDS, EDVE and EDFH bringing in the people who work in the test industry.

We hope that you will join us on either Monday 18 January and/or Friday 22 January to visit north of Sweden for a fun afternoon and early evening flying.

For briefing, scenery and charts please visit our dedicated page for the airport.

Briefing, charts and scenery

Photo Credit

Edited by Martin Tornberg
  • Like 1

Arvid Hansson (1162891)
40 minutes ago, Torben Andersen said:

Alas the is not the first time I've seen this in Sweden: The last CPT was also at these "strange" hours.

Thanks for your feedback! In Sweden we don't have set times for CPTs. It varies depending on the availability of the examiner and the examinee, as well as the weekday in question (an early afternoon CPT can work well on a weekend but will most likely not be appropriate mid-week). Our last CPT was by far the busiest S2 CPT I've ever seen so luckily the "strange" hours didn't affect many pilots.

We all have different lives and schedules, some of us are only able to use the network late at night and for others it's a mid-day or weekend only activity. It's impossible to plan events that everyone will be able to attend, that's the way it always has been and the way it always will be.

• Like 2

Martin Loxbo (811805)

In Spain most people have dinner at 10 pm, so what's "strange hours" is highly individual. Right now we also have many people working/studying from home or being furloughed, so it means people can be available at different times than a normal year.

Looking right now on VATSIM, there's a flight to ESNX flying at the same time as the real flight. Hopefully we'll see something like this next week too.

Martin Loxbo (811805)

ESNX 181220Z 00000KT CAVOK M22/M25 Q1005

Looks like a nice day in Arvidsjaur. If you don't have time for an IFR flight from hours away, why not pop by for some VFR sightseeing?

• Like 2

Alexander Arildsson (953633)
5 hours ago, Martin Loxbo said:

ESNX 181220Z 00000KT CAVOK M22/M25 Q1005

Looks like a nice day in Arvidsjaur. If you don't have time for an IFR flight from hours away, why not pop by for some VFR sightseeing?

I have to say I was slightly disappointed by the lack of sights other than lakes and spruce forest.. :) 

Unfortunately my sightseeing trip did lead to an ASR having to be filed.

Thanks for the service!

ASR.PNG

Edited by Alexander Arildsson
  • Haha 6

Martin Loxbo (811805)

To sum up these two event days, on Monday we had 21 arrivals and 7 departures, and on Friday 11 arrivals and 10 departures. Not bad for a small town airport in the middle of Lapland if you ask me. :D

Maybe similar events at other regional airports could also be interesting? Clearly if we advertise, the pilots will come!

Here are a few screens from Arvidsjaur Tower.

image.thumb.png.dac0cb83977d047a3625b924b82312aa.png

image.thumb.png.bb3ccaa381ddc76250d36487ba8edda2.png

image.thumb.png.aa5669da92a2b382243e8d75f4b7024a.png

unknown.png

• Like 1

• Martin Tornberg (1069087) unpinned this topic

Important Information

When visiting this site, only cookies that are strictly necessary for you to use the website is being used, unless you have provided further consent. Read more in our Privacy Policy