Iceland Real World Meet-up [12-14th June 2016]

Wygene Chong

Wygene Chong

Hæ allir,

Yes you read it right, we are planning a real world Iceland Meet-Up for VATSIM members! It will include an ATC visit at BIRK & BIRD, an FSS visit at BICC, local sightseeing, local food and the general chance to meet people from VATSIM in an amazing environment.

Date: 12th June - 14th June 2016 (guaranteed departure)

Itinerary: http://vatsim-scandinavia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Iceland-Meet-Up-2016-Non-VATSIM.pdf

VATSIM members and their family and friends are welcome.

Attending (in order of sign up and incl. number of persons) | Cut-off date 12z 22nd May

• Bjarki Aron Kristjánsson (BIRD/BIRK Visit)
  • Martin Tornberg: 1
  • Óðinn Þor Jóhansson: 2
    • Jóhann Örn Jóhannsson
  • Karl Karlsson: 1 
  • Halldór Bui Jónsson (BICC Visit)

What you need to do

• Indicate your full name and number of people attending.
  • Book your own flights
  • Book your own accommodation
  • Either pre-pay for bus airport transfer, or pay on arrival.

Notes

• Control area visits are limited in number and priority will be given to VATSIM Scandinavia members, then other VATSIM members in order of sign up. First come, first served.
Edited by Wygene Chong
Updated

Wygene Chong

By Henry Weber

In my opinion I would also rather like to make some sightseeing on day 2 as it would be a bit sad if I just came there to to basically just do vatsim related stuff and not see much of the beautiful landscapes of iceland.

I've searched in google for some cheaper but nice hotels and I found 2 hotels (Hotel Fron and Fosshotel Lind Reykjavik) for 180 Euros per night.

EDIT: It seems like they are all priced that high.. As one of the younger members I for one was going to share my room with someone else, so we could possibly split the cost in half.

Wygene Chong

I believe Martin Tornberg also made a post on this yesterday in the old forum, suggesting we scrap the live event for now.

I agree with that personally. Shall we just go with the ATC visit then sightseeing on day 2? 

Wygene Chong

Hæ!

At this stage the people I have talked to seem settled on the following:

Date: Late June (between 12th June and 30th June)
Length: 2 days, with personal choice for a longer stay
Who can attend:

• VATSIM Scandinavia members only for the control tower/centre visit.
  • Anyone (e.g. other VATSIM members + friends) can attend for everything else.

Day 1:

• Morning: Arrive in Iceland, with choice of arriving the day before. Personal time to settle in.
  • Afternoon: Meet at Reykjavik Airport. Private visit to the Reykjavik Control Tower (BIRK) and Reykjavik Area Control Centre (BIRD/BICC)
  • Evening: Dinner at local restaurant.

Day 2:

• Group sightseeing activity. 

Day 3

• Depart from Iceland or
  • Personal travel.

I am just waiting on a reply from Bjarki to see when he would prefer the control tower visit, before we lock in the dates and start letting people book flights/accommodation. We will provide a short list of suggestions for accommodation, but nothing will be set down in stone. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bjarki has replied! Dates can be changed, but at this stage we are looking at setting in the following:

Date: 12th June - 14th June

Please reply if you are still interested in coming. If we get more than 3 people in VATSIM Scandinavia, then we'll go for it and you can start making plans :) We haven't selected an official hotel at this stage, given that it is a small city, I thought it might be better if we let you guys select which you prefer. The BIRK airport is in the city centre next to the bus terminus (BSI).

Suggestions: Guesthouse/Hostel

• Alba Guesthouse
  • The Capital Inn
  • Bus Hostel Reykjavik (on top of BSI)

Suggestions: Hotel

• Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura (on top of BIRK airport)
  • All the "CenterHotel" chain
  • Hotel Cabin (quite far away by the sea)

Note that VATEUR and VATNA members will also be invited.

Edited by Wygene Chong

Sounds like a great idea! I'm definitely interested, my flights would only cost £85, dread to imagine the price for yours Wygene! As far as accommodation goes the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura looks ideal. 

Ryan Gerrard – 1283712,

Visiting Controller,

Instructor l VATSIM Middle East Division

Jouka Ahponen (1239359)

I am in as well. Natura sounds nice with a perfect location with the BIRK airport at the backyard. A bit expensive but guess everything in Iceland is. Of course I am open for all the other options as well and don't really mind a questhouse either.

Edited by Jouka Ahponen

Well that's 3 of us :)

Edited by Ryan Gerrard

Ryan Gerrard – 1283712,

Visiting Controller,

That's three people :) Unfortunately, due to the crazy cost of airfares from Australia to Iceland, I cannot attend unless I win the lotto :P

Everyone, please assume this trip is going ahead on 12th - 14th June 2016. I will be writing up a detailed plan later this week, to distribute here and at the vatsim.net forums. In terms of accommodation, I was planning to leave it to individual choice. To be honest, the best options would be the Bus Hostel (cheap) and Icelandair Hotel (expensive) because they are right next to each other. If you guys wanted to share rooms to avoid the single supplement, that could be arranged as well. Flights of course, will be up to the individual :) Don't forget to use Skyscanner!

If you wish to stay longer in Iceland, that's absolutely fine, but the 'organised' part will only be for the 3 days. Even with the organised part, we will try to be as flexible as possible so the group can decide what they want to do and when.

Haha, thought so!

As long as we get a good night's sleep I'm not too fussed where we stay 

Ryan Gerrard – 1283712,

Visiting Controller,

VATSIM North America and VATSIM Europe members have now been invited, so you might see some unfamiliar names posting in this particular thread :) Our chartered helicopter flight has been reserved and payment details will be circulated by private message in this forum when the link is ready. I have updated the main post with what you need to do in order to get involved:

What you need to do

• Indicate your full name and number of people attending.
  • Book your own flights
  • Book your own accommodation
  • Pay for the chartered helicopter flight (link to be sent around by private message)
  • Either pre-pay for bus airport transfer, or pay on arrival.
  • Indicate whether you are interested in the group Landmannalaugar Safari. If we have enough people, trip will be organised and a payment link sent around (same procedure as helicopter flight).

There is no rush for booking everything, take your time, but keep an eye on prices as they will rise for the high season in summer.  

Edited by Wygene Chong

Prices are already so high, its going to get difficult for me

Thanks for letting us know Henry and sorry it took so long to organise... if you can come it would be great :)

• 2 weeks later...

Karl might also be joining us for one of the days, depending on his work schedule :) So that's two locals so far that will get to show you around!

I'm waiting to see if our former Director of Iceland, Halldor, will be there too to say hi!

List updated at the top.

Johan Grauers (1113891)

Annoyingly I am off 12 and 13 but I am at work the 14th of June, so I don't think I'll be able to make this. As the schedule gets published I might consider attending the first bits but I would have to leave on the 13th which isn't ideal to say the least so I don't think this will work for me.

Martin Stockzell (1294494)

I'm afraid I have to declince. This would have been really awesome, but I have to spend a bit of money on a trip to the US later in august.

Hopefully another time!

• Wygene Chong unpinned this topic